Prithvi-II fails to take off in user trial

• Thread starter sorter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    trial
In summary, the conversation revolved around the purpose of the nosecone detaching at a low altitude during a rocket launch. It was speculated that it could be part of a launch abort system or an instrumentation package. It was also noted that the rocket in question, the Prithvi II, is a theater missile with a range of 350 km and the possibility of carrying a 1,000 kg warhead. However, it was suggested that there are more cost-effective ways of delivering such a payload.
sorter
[PLAIN]http://en.rian.ru/images/16070/97/160709799.jpg

why is nosecone detaching at such a low altitude

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
most likely that is where the expensive payload is - and they don't want that going kaboom with the rest of the rocket! :biggrin:

If I recall correctly, it's a launch abort system that jettisons the capsule for recovery in the event of launch failure.

jhae2.718 said:
If I recall correctly, it's a launch abort system that jettisons the capsule for recovery in the event of launch failure.

Hmmm, that's sort of odd in my opinion...seeing that Prithvi II is a freakin' ballistic nuclear missile. That nose-cone thingy would be the nuclear warhead. :confused:

Wasn't sure what kind of rocket it was; just trying to give a general answer (goes to show what happens when you make assumptions). That would be rather odd for a ballistic missile to have such a mechanism.

Perhaps for the test it's some kind of instrumentation package? (I'd certainly hope they didn't have a warhead onboard!)

Last edited:
jhae2.718 said:
Perhaps for the test it's some kind of instrumentation package? (I'd certainly hope they didn't have a warhead onboard!)

You're probably right about that. Probably didn't want to lose their telemetry gear :).

I can imagine the guidance system (if its in there), is not cheap.

It's not an ICBM. It's a theater missile capable of a 1,000 kg warhead. The Prithvi II range is just 350 km. Whether that warhead is nuclear or something else is up to India, though there are far cheaper ways of delivering 1,000 kg payloads...

It's principle advantage, courtesy of its significantly-sized wings, is it's ability to defeat anti-ballistic missiles.

Related to Prithvi-II fails to take off in user trial

1. What is Prithvi-II and why did it fail to take off in the user trial?

Prithvi-II is a surface-to-surface, short-range ballistic missile developed by India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). It failed to take off in the user trial due to a technical malfunction during the launch.

2. How often do user trials for Prithvi-II occur?

User trials for Prithvi-II occur periodically to test and evaluate the missile's capabilities and performance.

3. What are the consequences of Prithvi-II failing to take off in a user trial?

The failure of Prithvi-II to take off in a user trial could delay its deployment and operationalization, as well as lead to further testing and modifications to ensure its reliability and effectiveness.

4. Is this the first time that Prithvi-II has failed to take off in a user trial?

No, this is not the first time that Prithvi-II has failed to take off in a user trial. It has experienced failures in previous trials as well, which is a common occurrence in the development and testing of new military technologies.

5. What measures will be taken to address the issue and ensure the success of future trials for Prithvi-II?

The DRDO will conduct a thorough investigation to identify the cause of the failure and take necessary measures to address the issue. This may include conducting additional tests, making modifications, or implementing new procedures to improve the missile's performance and reliability.