Principle of virtual work for continuous systems

In summary, the PVW is a valuable tool for analyzing indeterminate continuous beams and trusses. However, according to Hjelmstad, the PVW is only valid for discrete systems with N particles, and for using the PVW for continuous systems, an approximation like Ritz' method should be used.
jkpennings
I always thought that the principle of virtual work (PVW) is valid for all structures, including continuous structures (like bars, beams, plates, etc.). However, in his book 'Fundamentals of Structural Mechanics', Hjelmstad states that the PVW is only valid for discrete systems with N particles, and that for using the PVW for continuous systems, an approximation like Ritz' method should be used, see attachment. I actually do not understand what Hjelmstad means in this text. Can you please help? I'm really confused right now...

Attachments

• Hjelmstad.JPG
    Hjelmstad.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in grad school or working on a complex project? Regardless ,you have every right to be confused, because Mr or Ms Hjelmstad's book on ' Fundamentals' is far beyond being fundamental, at least with thIs statement you have attached. Maybe he or she is just showing off. PVW is a valuable tool in analyzing indeterminate continuous beams and trusses. So maybe someone else can help you, but from my perspective, it is the basics of structural mechanics that are most important.
IMHO.

I am just a curious grad student in Applied Mechanics:) Do you understand why the PVW is not valid for continuous structures according to Hjelmstad?

I'm still trying to figure out what is a discrete system with N particles? Sounds like the author took a page out of Wikipedia. I took all sorts of advanced courses in grad school, none of which I remember, but all of which in some way was useful. If you are going on to a PhD level or Research, perhaps you need to investigate it more. I am wondering why you chose Applied Mechanics instead of Mechanical or Structural Engineering?

See attachment, this is what I mean by a discrete system with N particles :) The upper cantilever is a continuous structure, while the bottom cantiliver is a discrete system with N = 4 particles, in which the actual continuous stiffness is concentrated in those 4 nodes. If the number of N goes to infinity, the system becomes continuous.

Attachments

• DEM.JPG
    DEM.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 364
jkpennings said:
See attachment, this is what I mean by a discrete system wit N particles :) The upper cantilever is a continuous structure, while the bottom cantiliver is a discrete system with N = 4 particles, in which the actual continuous stiffness is concentrated in those 4 nodes. If the number of N goes to infinity, the system becomes continuous.
Oh, it looks like your into some sort of dynamic vibration analysis, which is not my area of expertise. Any dynamic analyses I have done have often employed the use of dynamically 'equivalent' static loads, such as impact and earthquake loads where dynamic loads are adjusted to reflect for example static dead loads that are multiplied by a 'g' factor depending on natural frequency and with a lowered overload factor. For static analysis of determinate and indeterminate continuous systems ,PVW is a valuable means of analysis for determining deflections and reaction loads. Maybe it's no good for vibratory loading. Sorry I can't help further.

Related to Principle of virtual work for continuous systems

1. What is the principle of virtual work for continuous systems?

The principle of virtual work for continuous systems is a mathematical tool used in mechanics to analyze the behavior of continuous systems, such as beams, plates, and shells. It states that the virtual work done by external forces on a system is equal to the virtual work done by the internal stresses within the system.

2. How is the principle of virtual work applied in mechanics?

The principle of virtual work allows us to analyze the equilibrium and deformation of continuous systems by considering virtual displacements, which are hypothetical, infinitesimal displacements that do not change the equilibrium of the system. By equating the virtual work done by external forces to the virtual work done by internal stresses, we can solve for unknown displacements and stresses.

3. What are the advantages of using the principle of virtual work for continuous systems?

One advantage of using the principle of virtual work is that it allows us to solve complex problems involving continuous systems without having to consider the internal stresses and deformations directly. It also provides a systematic and efficient approach to solving problems, making it a useful tool for engineers and scientists.

4. What are some limitations of the principle of virtual work for continuous systems?

While the principle of virtual work is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to systems that are in static equilibrium, and it assumes that the material behavior is linear, elastic, and isotropic. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of time and temperature on the system.

5. How is the principle of virtual work related to other principles in mechanics?

The principle of virtual work is closely related to other principles in mechanics, such as the principle of virtual displacements and the principle of minimum potential energy. These principles all rely on the concept of virtual work and can be used to solve different types of problems in mechanics.