Principle of corresponding states

In summary: No, this is not what is being asked. The equations are in reduced form because that is what is needed in order to solve for the critical properties.
decerto

Homework Statement

Show that it is always possible to adjust measurement units such that a; b can be assigned any values
you want. This means that e.g. all van der Waals gases look exactly the same if the units are
accordingly adjusted. (This is what is called principle of corresponding states).

Homework Equations

##P=\frac{T}{v-b}-\frac{a}{v^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So the question before this one was to work out the critical values for P, v and T for the van der waals equation of state + 3 other qualitatively similar gas models, the critical values were all of the form ##P_c \propto \frac{a}{b^2}##, ##T_c \propto \frac{a}{b}## and ##v_c \propto b## but I am not sure if this is relevant.

The question is confusing me to be honest, shouldn't it be trivially true that you can change your definition of a metre or kilogram in different cases to get the same values for different gasses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
decerto said:
So the question before this one was to work out the critical values for P, v and T for the van der waals equation of state + 3 other qualitatively similar gas models, the critical values were all of the form ##P_c \propto \frac{a}{b^2}##, ##T_c \propto \frac{a}{b}## and ##v_c \propto b## but I am not sure if this is relevant.
This is most certainly very relevant (hint!).

decerto said:
The question is confusing me to be honest, shouldn't it be trivially true that you can change your definition of a metre or kilogram in different cases to get the same values for different gasses?
For any pair of coefficients a and b? No, you can't do that by units alone. But you can do it using another rescaling, see my hint above.

I agree that the problem statement isn't too clear. But, I would start out by writing:

##P_r=P/P_c##

##v_r=v/v_c##

##T_r=T/T_c##

These are the reduced pressure, the reduced volume, and the reduced temperature of the gas, respectively, and all three are dimensionless. I would then substitute for P, v, and T in the vdw equation and lump all the extra critical properties in with the a and b.

Chet

Ooops. I just saw Dr. Claude's post which basically suggests the same thing (a little more subtily).

Chestermiller said:
I agree that the problem statement isn't too clear. But, I would start out by writing:

##P_r=P/P_c##

##v_r=v/v_c##

##T_r=T/T_c##

These are the reduced pressure, the reduced volume, and the reduced temperature of the gas, respectively, and all three are dimensionless. I would then substitute for P, v, and T in the vdw equation and lump all the extra critical properties in with the a and b.

Chet

Ooops. I just saw Dr. Claude's post which basically suggests the same thing (a little more subtily).

The question after this is about finding the reduced form of the equation which I have already done. This question seems to be about justifying it. I think Dr Claude is suggesting something different

DrClaude said:
This is most certainly very relevant (hint!).For any pair of coefficients a and b? No, you can't do that by units alone. But you can do it using another rescaling, see my hint above.

The following question asks me to put the equations in reduced form where ##P_c##, ##T_c## and ##v_c## are equal to 1 if that is what your suggesting I do for this question as chestermiller says.

If not then does the fact you can write p, T and v in such a way as to be independent of a and b mean anything

Related to Principle of corresponding states

What is the Principle of Corresponding States?

The Principle of Corresponding States is a concept in thermodynamics that states that the properties of a substance at its critical point are related to the properties of other substances at their respective critical points. This allows for the comparison of thermodynamic properties between different substances.

How is the Principle of Corresponding States used in practice?

The Principle of Corresponding States is used to predict the properties of a substance at its critical point based on the properties of other substances at their critical points. This can be useful in industrial applications, such as in the design of distillation processes or in the selection of refrigerants.

What are the assumptions of the Principle of Corresponding States?

The Principle of Corresponding States assumes that substances behave similarly at their critical points, regardless of their chemical composition. It also assumes that the critical point of a substance is unique and can be accurately determined.

How does the Principle of Corresponding States relate to the van der Waals equation of state?

The van der Waals equation of state is a simplified version of the Principle of Corresponding States, where the correction terms for intermolecular interactions are neglected. This makes it a useful tool for calculating the properties of real gases based on their critical point properties.

Are there any limitations to the Principle of Corresponding States?

While the Principle of Corresponding States is a useful concept, it does have limitations. It is only applicable to substances with well-defined critical points, and it does not take into account the effects of pressure and temperature on the properties of a substance. Additionally, it may not accurately predict the behavior of substances at extreme conditions.