Prime ideal question (abstract algebra)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the ideal P = (2, sqrt(10)) is a prime ideal in the commutative ring D = Z[sqrt(10)]. The approach discussed involves calculating the quotient ring Z[sqrt(10)]/P and checking if it is an integral domain, as well as using a theorem relating prime ideals to integral domains. The conversation also mentions that the elements in D are of the form a+b*sqrt(10), where a and b are integers.
Metric_Space

Homework Statement

Let D = Z[sqrt(10)], and let P be the ideal (2,sqrt(10)) 10). Prove that P is a prime
ideal of D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start. I think elements are of the for a+b*sqrt(10), a,b integers.

Any hints as to what to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Metric_Space! :smile:

So your ideal is [itex]\mathfrak{p}=(2,\sqrt{10})[/itex]?

The first thing I would do is calculate [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{10}]/\mathfrak{p}[/itex] and check whether this is an integral domain...

Right..and there is a theorem that relates Z[10−−√]/p to prime ideals I think, right?

Metric_Space said:
Right..and there is a theorem that relates Z[10−−√]/p to prime ideals I think, right?

Uuh, maybe. But what I'm going for is that p is a prime ideal in a commutative ring R if and only if R/p is an integral domain...

cool..yes, I have a theorem like the one you mention -- that's a good start. Thanks for the hint.

Related to Prime ideal question (abstract algebra)

What is a prime ideal?

A prime ideal is a subset of a ring that shares some properties with prime numbers in the integers. Specifically, it is an ideal that is not equal to the whole ring and has the property that if the product of two elements is in the ideal, then at least one of the elements must be in the ideal.

How is a prime ideal different from a regular ideal?

A regular ideal is simply a subset of a ring that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. A prime ideal has the additional property that it is not equal to the whole ring and has the restriction on products described in the previous answer.

What is the importance of prime ideals?

Prime ideals play a crucial role in the study of abstract algebra. They help to classify rings and provide a way to understand their structure. They are also important in the study of fields, as the set of prime ideals of a ring corresponds to the set of irreducible polynomials in a field extension.

How can prime ideals be used in factorization?

In a ring with unique factorization, every element can be written as a product of irreducible elements. Prime ideals play a key role in this process, as they correspond to the irreducible elements of the ring. By identifying prime ideals, we can determine the prime factorization of elements in the ring.

Are prime ideals unique?

No, prime ideals are not unique. Just as there can be multiple prime numbers that divide a given integer, there can be multiple prime ideals in a given ring. However, in certain cases, such as in a principal ideal domain, prime ideals can be unique.