Prime factorization for large numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to factorize large numbers, with some of them being up to 200 decimal digits long. The speaker mentions that Wolfram Alpha and Python programming have not been successful in solving this problem and asks for suggestions. Another person suggests using a code or existing codes to search for prime factors. The speaker then provides some links to show how they were able to use Wolfram Alpha to factor large numbers. They also mention that they had to enter each number separately and wanted to write a code to make the process faster. Finally, they mention that Carl Pomerance is an expert in factoring large numbers and can be contacted for assistance.
aalireza
I need to factorize large numbers (some of them have about 200 decimal digits). Wolfram alpha is a dead end and programming with python is not working for me too. Any suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oops. Sorry! I did miss a REALLY important thing(!): they are really so simple/silly! They are full of zeros, for example one of them is 909091 with 150 zeros after it, so the only problem would be factorizing 909091 and that's not a big deal. so the answer of the given number will be 909091*2^150*5^150. There is a list of them (523 numbers) and they are between 100 and 200 digits and most of them are really simple to solve ... But my problem is that I don't want to factorize them myself.

+ I think If I eliminate zeros and then factorize it with current codes, it can be done. but It's a new thing for me and I don't know how to do it properly!

Factoring small numbers like that is really just a process of searching through the possible prime factors up to the square root of the number. You can write a code to do it or use existing codes. Why didn't Wolfram Alpha work for you? It did for me. The example you listed is prime. See this link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=factor[909091]

I did the damn thing, I just entered the non-zero part in Wolfram and factorize the rest of them myself.

---
@Bill Simpson & @phyzguy:
Of course, if you enter :
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=factor(987654320987654321*2^180*5^180

It will give you the answer, but The numbers weren't in this form and there is not enough room for all the zeros to be entered in Wolfram:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

, and second, there was 523 of them and That's why I said I want to eliminate all zeros and write a code for them... Because It was a nightmare to enter them one by one, I wanted to give the .ods to that program and get the answers as fast as possible... anyways, It's done now! :-)

if you ever have a real challenge to factor large numbers, write Carl Pomerance and ask him.

Related to Prime factorization for large numbers

What is prime factorization?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, which are the building blocks of the number. Prime factors are prime numbers that can divide the original number without leaving a remainder.

Why is prime factorization important for large numbers?

Prime factorization is important for large numbers because it helps us to understand the factors that make up the number and to find the greatest common divisor or lowest common multiple of a set of numbers. It is also useful for simplifying fractions and solving certain mathematical problems.

How do you find the prime factors of a large number?

The most common method for finding the prime factors of a large number is by using a factor tree. Start by dividing the number by its smallest prime factor and continue breaking down the resulting factors until all the factors are prime numbers. Another method is by using a prime factorization calculator or a prime factorization algorithm.

What is the difference between prime factorization and prime decomposition?

Prime factorization and prime decomposition are essentially the same process, but prime decomposition is often used to describe the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors without showing the steps or using a factor tree. Prime factorization, on the other hand, typically refers to showing the steps and using a factor tree.

Can you use prime factorization to determine if a number is prime or composite?

Yes, you can use prime factorization to determine if a number is prime or composite. If a number has only two prime factors (itself and 1), then it is a prime number. If a number has more than two prime factors, then it is a composite number. This is because a prime number can only be divided by itself and 1 without leaving a remainder, while a composite number has multiple factors.