Prime Congruence: What Can You Expect of k?

• Thread starter pedrommp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, to solve this problem, we need to understand prime numbers and their properties, the equation q^n = 1 (mod p), and the condition 1+k*p divides q^n. We can then use mathematical reasoning and proofs to show that k=0 is the only possible value for the given conditions to be true.
pedrommp

Homework Statement

If p and q are prime numbers, p>q>2 , and 1+k*p divides q^n for some positive integer n. What can i expect of the values of k ? Does it works just for k=0 ?

Homework Equations

q^n = 1 (mod p)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that k=0 works , and k=odd don't work cause 1+k*p would be even and q^n is odd ; if n= x*(p-1)+r , -1<r<(p-1) then q^n = q^(x*(p-1)+r) = q^(x*(p-1))*q^r = q^r (mod p) so i just need to check for -1<r<(p-1).

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first try to understand the problem by breaking it down into smaller parts. First, I would start by reviewing the definitions of prime numbers and their properties. This would help me understand why p>q>2 is a necessary condition for the problem.

Next, I would look at the equation q^n = 1 (mod p) and try to understand its significance in relation to the problem. This equation tells us that q^n is congruent to 1 modulo p, which means that q^n leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by p. This could also be written as q^n = 1 + kp, where k is some integer.

Then, I would focus on the condition 1+k*p divides q^n. This means that 1+k*p is a factor of q^n, or in other words, q^n is a multiple of 1+k*p. This condition is necessary for the given statement to be true.

From here, I would try to come up with some examples to better understand the problem. For instance, if p=5 and q=3, we can see that 1+k*5 divides 3^n for some values of k. For k=0, we get 1*5 divides 3^n, which is true since 5 is a factor of 3^n. However, for k=1, we get 1+5*1=6, which does not divide any power of 3.

Based on this example, I would conclude that k=0 is a possible value for the problem, but it may not be the only one. I would then try to come up with a general solution for any prime numbers p and q.

Finally, I would use mathematical reasoning and proofs to show that k=0 is indeed the only possible value for the given conditions to be true. This would involve showing that for any other value of k, the condition 1+k*p does not divide q^n.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by first understanding the definitions and properties involved, then using examples to gain insight, and finally using mathematical reasoning and proofs to come to a conclusion.

Related to Prime Congruence: What Can You Expect of k?

1. What is the definition of prime congruence?

Prime congruence is a mathematical concept that involves two numbers, where one number is a prime number and the other number is a multiple of that prime number plus 1.

2. How is prime congruence related to modular arithmetic?

Prime congruence is closely related to modular arithmetic, as it is a way of representing numbers in a modular system. In modular arithmetic, numbers are grouped into sets based on their remainders when divided by a certain number, called the modulus. Prime congruence involves finding numbers that are congruent to 1 modulo a prime number, which is a special case in modular arithmetic.

3. What can you expect to find when exploring prime congruence for a given value of k?

When exploring prime congruence for a given value of k, you can expect to find a pattern of numbers that are congruent to 1 modulo k. This pattern will repeat for every multiple of k, and the numbers that are congruent to 1 will be prime numbers.

4. What are some real-world applications of prime congruence?

Prime congruence has several real-world applications, including in cryptography, where it is used in the generation of secure keys and in the RSA encryption algorithm. It is also used in number theory and in the study of prime numbers.

5. Is there a formula for calculating prime congruence?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating prime congruence. It is k = 2p + 1, where k is the number that is congruent to 1 modulo p, and p is a prime number. This formula can be used to find the next number that is congruent to 1 modulo a given prime number.