Primary calculation involving the Dirac gama matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion with a calculation step in exercise 3.2 of Peskin's QFT, specifically with the use of the Dirac equation and momentum as an operator. The solution provided uses the convention of a diagonal metric with a minus sign in front of the 3-momentum operator. This is the correct sign convention as the energy operator should have a positive sign and the 3-momentum operator should have a negative sign.
YSM
Homework Statement
How to work out a calculation involving properties of gama matrices and the dirac equation.
Relevant Equations
showed below
When working on the exercise 3.2 of Peskin's QFT, I find one of the calculating steps confused for me. I read the solution, which is showed in the picture. I just don't understand the boxed part.

I know it involved the Dirac equation, and the solution seems to treat the momentum as a operator, because only in this way can I relate the momentum in the equation with the partial derivative in the Dirac Equation. But I don't think the momentum in the solution of Dirac field serve as an operator.

Attachments

• the calculation.png
    the calculation.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 193
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum in Dirac equation indeed is an operator, in fact: ##p_\mu = i\partial_\mu##. So if that's the only problem, there's your answer.

Edit: Momentum in solutions of Dirac equation is eigenvalue of momentum operator, though they're usually denoted with the same letter.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer, but why no minus sign in front of p?

It's the sign convention where metric is given by ##diag(1, -1, -1, -1)##. So in that convention the energy operator is given by ##p_0 = i\partial_t## as it should be, and 3-momentum operator is given by ##\textbf{p} = -i\nabla## because ##p^i = -p_i## for spatial indices.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

Related to Primary calculation involving the Dirac gama matrices

1. What are Dirac gamma matrices?

The Dirac gamma matrices are a set of four 4x4 matrices used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. They were introduced by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 as an extension of his relativistic wave equation for electrons.

2. How are Dirac gamma matrices used in primary calculations?

Dirac gamma matrices are used in primary calculations to represent the spin and angular momentum of particles in quantum field theory. They are also used in the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic spin-1/2 particles.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac gamma matrices in physics?

The Dirac gamma matrices are significant in physics because they provide a mathematical framework for describing the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, which are fundamental building blocks of matter. They also played a crucial role in the development of quantum field theory and the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How are the Dirac gamma matrices related to the Pauli matrices?

The Dirac gamma matrices are related to the Pauli matrices through the Clifford algebra, which is a mathematical system used to describe the properties of vectors in multiple dimensions. The Pauli matrices are a subset of the Dirac gamma matrices, and they can be obtained by taking linear combinations of the latter.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Dirac gamma matrices?

Yes, there are practical applications of the Dirac gamma matrices in fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing. They are also used in the study of black holes and cosmology, as well as in the development of new technologies, such as spintronics and topological insulators.