Preventing them from closing tabs when a post is being written

• Thread starter TriKri
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the frustration of losing a long written reply due to accidentally closing a browser tab. The person suggests that the forum should warn users before closing a tab to prevent this from happening. Another person shares their habit of regularly copying and pasting their reply, while another suggests using keyboard shortcuts for select-all and copy.
TriKri
Hi! I was just writing a quite long reply to a thread I have started, when I got a brain fart and suddenly closed the tab in which I had the thread open. I lost all the text I had written, including a lot of discussion and a couple of links to different research papers. I couldn't retrieve anything. Doh. I wish that this forum would warn users before closing a tab in which they have started to write a post, in order to save them from their own stupidity (in my case it is obviously necessary). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect a warning about closing a browser tab would be from your browser.

Can the website even do this?

Drakkith said:
Can the website even do this?

Sort of, but it's extremely problematic.

If I'm writing a long reply I always C&P regularly, sometimes into a word doc.

Yeah, that's a good habit, but usually I think that I will just write a short post and don't care about doing that. Like now. Then it turns out to become miles long. :P

TriKri said:
Yeah, that's a good habit, but usually I think that I will just write a short post and don't care about doing that. Like now. Then it turns out to become miles long. :P

I think it's happened to everyone at one point. If a post I'm writing starts to get long, I select and copy it, just so I have a copy in the cache.

That's quite smart too, I should also start doing that.

For those who may be unaware of the shortcuts for select-all and copy:

<Ctrl> a
<Ctrl> c

Related to Preventing them from closing tabs when a post is being written

1. How can I prevent accidental tab closing while writing a post?

One way to prevent accidental tab closing while writing a post is to use a browser extension or add-on that allows you to lock certain tabs from being closed.

2. Is there a way to save my progress on a post in case the tab accidentally closes?

Yes, most web browsers have an option to restore closed tabs or windows. You can also use a browser extension that automatically saves your work as you type.

3. Can I disable the close button on the tab I am using to write a post?

No, it is not possible to disable the close button on a specific tab. However, you can use a browser extension that adds a warning message when you try to close a tab with unsaved work.

4. How can I prevent my browser from closing all tabs when I accidentally press "Exit" or "Close All"?

You can enable the option to prompt for confirmation before closing multiple tabs in your browser settings. Some browser extensions also allow you to lock specific tabs from being closed.

5. Will using a browser extension to prevent tab closing affect the performance of my browser?

It depends on the specific extension and how it is programmed. However, most extensions that prevent tab closing do not significantly impact the performance of your browser.