Pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks?

In summary, measuring pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks is important for understanding pressure distribution and its impact on fluid flow. This can be done using pressure gauges, transducers, or calculations. Various factors such as water level, pipe dimensions, and external forces can affect these pressures. The difference in pressures between the tanks drives the flow of water between them, making this information useful for designing irrigation systems, industrial processes, and studying hydraulics and fluid mechanics.
MechaMZ
[PLAIN]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/3943/fluidmechanics.jpg

Please let me know is my assumption correct?

P1 = P2 = P4 = P5 = Atmospheric pressure

P2 not equal to P3, and P3 is not under the atmospheric pressure.

P2 not equal to P3 even are the same fluid, is because of the same fluids are not connected. Am i right to say that?

# How do i convert -30mm Hg(mercury) to pressure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
# How do i convert -30mm Hg(mercury) to pressure?

Pressure P = ρ*g*h, where ρ is the density of the mercury.

Related to Pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks?

What is the purpose of measuring pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks?

The purpose of measuring pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks is to understand the distribution of pressure within the tanks and how it affects the flow of water between them. This information is important for designing and optimizing systems that rely on fluid flow, such as pumps and pipelines.

How do you measure pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks?

Pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks can be measured using pressure gauges or transducers. These devices are typically placed at strategic locations in the tanks and connected to a data collection system. Alternatively, pressures can also be calculated using established equations and known variables such as the height and density of the water.

What factors can affect the pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks?

Several factors can affect the pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks. These include the height and volume of water in each tank, the diameter and length of connecting pipes, the density and temperature of the water, and any external forces acting on the tanks, such as wind or vibrations.

How do the pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks affect the flow of water between them?

The difference in pressures between the two open tanks creates a pressure gradient, which drives the flow of water from the higher pressure tank to the lower pressure tank. The rate of flow is directly proportional to the pressure difference and the cross-sectional area of the connecting pipes.

What are some potential applications for understanding pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks?

Understanding pressures at the water levels in the two open tanks has many practical applications, such as designing efficient irrigation systems, optimizing industrial processes that involve fluid transfer, and determining the stability of water storage tanks. This information can also be used for research and development in fields such as hydraulics, environmental engineering, and fluid mechanics.