Pressure drop in a water manifold

In summary, David is looking for help or direction to say mathematically that he has uniform flow in his water chiller. He is worried about the pressure drop along the manifold causing nonuniform flow rates between the lines. If the lines are different lengths, different elevations or number of bends, or if there is anything different about them at all, then they might have different flow through each.
dschlaud
Hi all,

This is what I currently have.
Water chiller with a flowrate of 2GPM (Choked to 2GPM)
Ti= 50F
H20
Pi=55-60psi

It is a closed loop system. I am looking to split 1 line at 2 GPM (55-60psi) into 8 smaller lines that will run into my cooling jacket. All 8 lines are same length and size. The manifold I am thinking of using is this one, (http://www.mcmaster.com/#5469k171/=8j52d0). My main concern is that the pressure drop along the manifold is going to create nonuniform flow rates between the 8 lines.

Manifold Inlet line is 3/8" ID and the manifold outlet lines are .17" ID.

Thanks in advance,

David Schlaud

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, that's a real possibility. What are you looking for?

Q_Goest said:
Yes, that's a real possibility. What are you looking for?

I am hoping to get some help or direction so that I can say mathematically that I have uniform flow. Or is it not even possible to have uniform flow in a manifold like the one I have noted without putting a valve in each line. Fluids is not my strong point.

I plan on verifying experimentally but I would like to do calculations first to back up my theory/game plan.

If the length of your 8 lines is large compared to the length of the manifold (say more than 10 times) and assuming the 8 lines are identical in length and number of bends, and assuming the flow area of the manifold is at least 8 times larger than one of the tubes, then the flow through each of the tubes will be roughly the same.

If the lines are different lengths, different elevations or number of bends, or if there is anything different about them at all, then they might have different flow through each. Basically, you want to add up the total restriction for each line and make sure they are equal.

It's not easy to do the flow analysis without having some background in it. If you really want to try, you could go through the paper found on this link:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179830&

... but honestly, I wouldn't waste my time if unless you're really interested in learning how to do pipe flow analysis.

Related to Pressure drop in a water manifold

1. What is pressure drop in a water manifold?

Pressure drop in a water manifold refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs as water flows through the manifold. This can be caused by various factors such as pipe size, flow rate, and obstructions in the manifold.

2. How does pressure drop affect the performance of a water system?

Pressure drop can significantly impact the performance of a water system as it can affect the flow rate and pressure of the water. If there is a high pressure drop, it can lead to reduced flow and inadequate water supply to certain areas.

3. What factors can cause pressure drop in a water manifold?

There are several factors that can contribute to pressure drop in a water manifold, including the length and diameter of the pipes, the number of turns or fittings in the system, and the velocity of the water flow. Other factors such as clogs or obstructions in the pipes can also cause pressure drop.

4. How can pressure drop be calculated in a water manifold?

Pressure drop can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe length, diameter, and roughness. This equation can be used to estimate the pressure drop at various points in the manifold and help identify potential problem areas.

5. How can pressure drop in a water manifold be minimized?

To minimize pressure drop in a water manifold, it is important to design the system properly, taking into account factors such as pipe size and flow rate. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the pipes can also help prevent clogs and obstructions that can lead to pressure drop. Additionally, using materials with smoother surfaces and reducing the number of turns and fittings in the system can help improve water flow and reduce pressure drop.