Pressure Distribution on Split Block: Does Total Pressure Change on Ground?

In summary, the question is asking if the total pressure on the ground changes when a block is split vertically into two halves. The pressure exerted by an object is not a property that can be added up, but rather a quantity that is computed for each part of a surface. Therefore, the overall pressure on the ground remains the same even when the block is split into smaller pieces.
nilic1

Homework Statement

A block exerts a pressure on the ground. If the block is split vertically into two halves does the total pressure on the ground increase, decrease or remain the same?

Homework Equations

Pressure = Force/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it doubles but I am not sure. I am confused because the total area of contact remains the same and the total weight remains the same. Can you work out the total pressure using total pressure = total force/total area once they are split up or do you have to work them out individually?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just analyse one of the halves, what happens to the weight? What happens to the area? As a consequence, what happens to the pressure? (Force/area)

Each half will have half the weight, so half the force and half the area and so the pressure is equal to that of the whole block. So I think I am right to say that by splitting it up vertically even though they might lie side by side touching each other, the overall pressure on the ground still doubles compared to when the block was whole. In short once split you have to work them separately and not continue treating them as one whole object.

But having a practical look at the problem defies the abovementioned logic. Take something in your hand. Feel the pressure it exerts. Now cut it in half the pressure will remain same

nilic1 said:
So I think I am right to say that by splitting it up vertically even though they might lie side by side touching each other, the overall pressure on the ground still doubles compared to when the block was whole. In short once split you have to work them separately and not continue treating them as one whole object.
No, this is wrong. Pressure is not a property you add up from different parts. It is a quantity you compute for each part of a surface.

nilic1 said:
the overall pressure on the ground still doubles
You just proved the pressure stays the same. It seems to me that you are sometimes confusing pressure with force, e.g. thinking that two lots of the same pressure means double the pressure. The confusion may come partly from the use of the expression "total pressure" in the question. That suggests adding pressures, but you can only add pressures exerted on the same patch of surface. Two blocks placed side by side cannot be said to exert a total pressure. An average pressure, perhaps.
Faiq said:
Take something in your hand. Feel the pressure it exerts.
That's not so easy. You would be too aware of the total weight to be able to judge in terms of pressures.

Consider cutting the block into 1,000,000 bits. Do you think the pressure will be 1,000,000 times greater?

So should the answer be ... total pressure acting remains the same?

nilic1 said:
So should the answer be ... total pressure acting remains the same?
I would say the pressure remains the same. As I wrote, I don't think "total pressure" means anything in this context. It would be meaningful if we were discussing adding pressures onto the same region.

Likes CWatters and nilic1

Related to Pressure Distribution on Split Block: Does Total Pressure Change on Ground?

1. What is pressure on the ground?

Pressure on the ground is the force per unit area applied by the weight of objects, such as buildings or people, on the Earth's surface.

2. How is pressure on the ground measured?

Pressure on the ground is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

3. What factors affect pressure on the ground?

The main factors that affect pressure on the ground include the weight and distribution of objects on the surface, as well as the elevation and atmospheric conditions.

4. How does pressure on the ground impact the environment?

Pressure on the ground can have significant impacts on the environment, such as soil compaction, changes in water flow and erosion, and damage to plants and animals living on the surface.

5. Can pressure on the ground be harmful to humans?

Yes, excessive pressure on the ground can be harmful to humans, particularly if they are standing or walking on surfaces with high levels of pressure, such as concrete or asphalt. This can lead to discomfort, fatigue, and even injuries over time.