Pressure distribution in the sun

In summary, the conversation is about studying the internal structure of the sun and the pressure distribution along a line from the core to the convection zone. There are some scientific resources available online, such as NASA and ESA websites and notes on oscillations and equilibrium. The approximate pressure values for the radiative zone and convection zone can be estimated using temperature and particle density.
lead341
Hi,

I am currently studying the internal structure of the sun and I was wondering if there exists scientific information regarding the pressure distribution along a hypothetical line from the core to the, let´s say, convection zone. You can find frequently in the internet that the pressure in the core is about 25 PPa. Are there comparable values for the radiative zone and the convection zone?

Greetings,

Andreas

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot, that gave me a good insight. I will study your links step by step.

Related to Pressure distribution in the sun

1. What causes pressure in the Sun?

The pressure in the Sun is caused by the immense gravitational force from the massive amount of matter within the Sun. This force creates compression, which leads to high pressure in the core of the Sun.

2. How does pressure change throughout the layers of the Sun?

The pressure in the Sun increases as you move towards the core. In the core, the pressure is about 250 billion times greater than the atmospheric pressure on Earth. As you move towards the surface, the pressure decreases significantly.

3. What is the role of pressure in nuclear fusion within the Sun?

The high pressure in the core of the Sun is essential for nuclear fusion to occur. This pressure allows for the nuclei of hydrogen atoms to overcome their natural repulsion and fuse together, releasing immense amounts of energy.

4. How is pressure related to the temperature of the Sun?

The pressure in the Sun is directly related to its temperature. As the temperature increases, so does the pressure. This is because higher temperatures lead to more energetic particles that collide with greater force, resulting in higher pressure.

5. How do scientists measure pressure in the Sun?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure pressure in the Sun, including using mathematical models and analyzing the behavior of solar waves. They also use data from spacecraft and telescopes to study the Sun's surface and interior, providing valuable insights into its pressure distribution.