Pressure and spring constant problem

In summary, a cylinder with a diameter of 5.04 cm contains 1.40 liters of an ideal gas at 20.9°C and 0.99 atm pressure. When the temperature is increased to 95°C, the spring attached to a horizontal piston compresses 3.41 cm. The goal is to find the spring constant k. To do this, the ideal gas law is used to relate the change in pressure to the spring constant. However, the outside pressure of 0.99 atm needs to be taken into account. Using the cross-sectional area of the cylinder, the final pressure and volume can be calculated. However, there may be some uncertainties in the calculations, so further clarification or assistance may be needed.
kellyneedshelp
hi, i am having trouble with this problem:

A cylinder with a diameter of 5.04 cm has a movable piston attached to a horizontal spring. The cylinder contains 1.40 liters of an ideal gas at 20.9°C and 0.99 atm pressure. Under these conditions, the spring is unstretched. The temperature of the gas is increased to 95°C and it is found that the spring compresses 3.41 cm. Determine the spring constant k.

I am not sure how to relate the change in pressure with a spring constant. So far, I tried finding the new pressure using (P1*V1)/(T1) = (P2*V2)/(T2) like this:
(.99atm*1.4L)/(273.15+20.9) = (P2*1.4L)/(273.15+95)
and got P2 = 1.239atm

How can I use this to find the spring constant? I tried using the eq. P=F/A but then I didn't know the area of the cylinder to use.

Could anyone please help me understand this problem better?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in using [itex]F = PA[/itex].You are given the diameter of the cylinder and hence you can work out the area.

~H

isn't the area of a cylinder = 2*pi*r*h ?
how do i find the area of the cylinder without knowing its height/length?
thanks!

The Force applied by Pressure is perpendicular to the Area.
That is, the Pressure Force is the Normal Force from long ago...
... in F = P.A , the Force pierces (acts *through*) the Area,
so you want to use the "cross-sectional" Area, perp. to the motion
(not the area of the *side* of the cylinder).

do you mean use the area of one end of the cylinder, like just pi*r^2?

Yes.
A Force perp to that end Area would push the cylinder, correct?
A Force perp to the sides would just try to enlarge the chamber diameter

ok, well i tried using A=pi*(.0252m)^2 = .001995 m^2
and P = 1.239atm
to get F = (1.239)*(.001995) = .0007868 N
and then use F=-kx
where x=0.0341m
to get k=.07249 N/m
but this is not the right answer.

am i not following what you are saying correctly?

thanks=)

Apparently, there's 0.99 atm of Pressure on the OUTside of the piston
(because F_spring = 0 when INside Pressure = 0.99 atm).
One presses leftward, one presses rightward ...

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the same problem.

What does it mean for there to be .99 atm pressure outside vs. inside, in terms of solving a problem? Conceptually, is it that the pressure outside is pushing against the top of the cylinder, but the pressure inside is greater than the outside, thus pushing outward and compressing the spring?

So would that mean F[tex]spring\rmfamily[/tex] + F[tex]outside pressure\rmfamily[/tex] = F[tex]inside pressure\rmfamily[/tex]? So, -kX + P1A = P2A?

yes some help on this would be nice...
using the ideal gas law, since nr=constant=PiVi/Ti=PfVf/Tf, thus
PfVf=a constant

F=PA
Fspring=kx

then -kx-P(outside)A=P(inside)A
where A=pi(r^2)

but now I am stuck...I understand that initially P(outside)A=P(inside)A and thus kx=F(spring)=0 but I am not sure how to go from here
thanks

how do you solve for the final pressure & and the final volume? and is what I posted above correct? or is there some flaw I'm missing
again, thank you

is this problem/ piston isochoric or isobaric?

i did what kelly did and also got the wrong answer...I do not know how to apply the thing about the outside pressure

please help
thanks

Related to Pressure and spring constant problem

1. What is the relationship between pressure and the spring constant?

The pressure applied to a spring is directly proportional to the spring constant, meaning that as pressure increases, the spring constant also increases. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant in a pressure and spring constant problem?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. Can the spring constant change in a pressure and spring constant problem?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material and physical properties of the spring. For example, a stiffer spring will have a higher spring constant than a more flexible spring.

4. How does temperature affect pressure and spring constant?

A change in temperature can affect the pressure and spring constant in a few ways. For one, a change in temperature can cause the spring material to expand or contract, which can alter the spring constant. Additionally, changes in temperature can also affect the pressure applied to the spring, which in turn can affect the spring constant.

5. What units are typically used to measure pressure and spring constant?

Pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2). Spring constant is usually measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m) or Newtons per millimeter (N/mm).