Prerequisite for understanding QCD

• A
  • Thread starter Renzo Tramaglino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qcd
In summary: However, some books that would be good to read are:John Baez, Gauge Theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, 2006Robert G. Griffiths, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, Springer Verlag, 1984Leonid Zelevinsky, Principles of Quantum Mechanics, Springer Verlag, 2006
Renzo Tramaglino
I know there is more than one approach in studying strong interaction, a geometric one based on gauge theories and one based on quantum field theory. In both of them I would like to know which topics I have to study in order to understand this theory, for example my knowledge of quantum physics consists in the Schrodinger equation and in its solutions in different situations. I am more interested in the geometric approach, but surely I will not have an all-embracing view until I will know the latter one. I would like to understand in particular the confinement and the asymptotic freedom. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Renzo Tramaglino said:
I know there is more than one approach in studying strong interaction, a geometric one based on gauge theories and one based on quantum field theory. In both of them I would like to know which topics I have to study in order to understand this theory, for example my knowledge of quantum physics consists in the Schrodinger equation and in its solutions in different situations. I am more interested in the geometric approach, but surely I will not have an all-embracing view until I will know the latter one. I would like to understand in particular the confinement and the asymptotic freedom. Thanks.
Quantum field theory is what you need. Lagrangian formulation, how to write a gauge invariant Lagrangian, gauge fixing and quantization, Fadeev-Popov ghosts, renormalization, beta function and asymptotic freedom, massive gauge bosons and confinement. You might want to start with QED.

Renzo Tramaglino said:
I know there is more than one approach in studying strong interaction, a geometric one based on gauge theories and one based on quantum field theory.
The QFT that describes the strong interaction is a gauge theory. I don't see where you expect a second approach.

The usuall approach is nonrelativistic quantum mechanics -> relativistic quantum mechanics -> QED -> QCD.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Ok, thank you all, I think I'm going to buy Landau's books and study them during the next two years.
Regards

But there is no geometry in Landau's books. The 4th volume of the series contains a thorough treatment of quantum electrodynamics. For QCD, though, try the Greiner series, especially the symmetry text in quantum mechanics is a must read before any quantum field theory reading.

dextercioby said:
But there is no geometry in Landau's books. The 4th volume of the series contains a thorough treatment of quantum electrodynamics. For QCD, though, try the Greiner series, especially the symmetry text in quantum mechanics is a must read before any quantum field theory reading.
Thank you, I will have a look at Greiner texts.

mfb said:
The QFT that describes the strong interaction is a gauge theory. I don't see where you expect a second approach.

The usuall approach is nonrelativistic quantum mechanics -> relativistic quantum mechanics -> QED -> QCD.
I strongly suggest to take the modern way and leave out "relativistic quantum mechanics". The true way to describe relativistic QT is QFT :-). As introductory book, I recommend

M. D. Schwartz, Introduction to quantum field theory and the standard model, Cambridge University Press 2014.

vanhees71 said:
I strongly suggest to take the modern way and leave out "relativistic quantum mechanics". The true way to describe relativistic QT is QFT :-). As introductory book, I recommend

M. D. Schwartz, Introduction to quantum field theory and the standard model, Cambridge University Press 2014.
It looks like a very difficult book, but I will study it little by little, thanks.

what about Weinberg's two vollumes on QFT?

Last edited by a moderator:
Renzo Tramaglino said:
Thank you, I will have a look at Greiner texts.

I have two of Greiner's books, RQM and QED. They are both excellent books. I will get the QCD book after digesting these two.

Renzo Tramaglino said:
I studied Gasiorowicz text, is it enough?

Tiring one, but I think it's an introductory book like Griffith's... a more advanced textbook should be best (Like Sakurai's or Balentine's)

ChrisVer said:
Tiring one, but I think it's an introductory book like Griffith's... a more advanced textbook should be best (Like Sakurai's or Balentine's)
I will consult them.

If you really want a thorough and long (oh so long :-D ) route there are no other books better than Zelevinsky's and Cohen Tannoudji's books on QM. (Zelevinsky also covers quantum chaos). There's also the book by Gurtzwiller which I have (hardcover) but didn't find the time to read.

I took three courses in QM and one course in QFT (the continuation of which I am taking this coming academic year), for the most courses I didn't find the time to read the books since it mostly was lectured already in class (but I am sure these books are self contained and contain all you need to know and more on QM).

For QFT there are so many books to read, I finished reading Srednicki's book but I know other books which I plan to read further on the road.

BTW, I am not sure but QFT and QC (quantum chaos) are different subjects, shouldn't there be a unified theme between the two?

It's interseting that macroscopically nature is chaotic while in QM there's no such chaos as in determinstic chaos in classical physics.
I tried searchig for chaotic field theory and all I found is this link:
http://www.cns.gatech.edu/~predrag/papers/hkPubl.pdf

and the book by Biro which I have.

Didn't find the time to read them though.

Related to Prerequisite for understanding QCD

1. What is QCD and why is it important to understand?

QCD stands for Quantum Chromodynamics, which is the theory that describes the strong nuclear force that holds quarks together to form protons, neutrons, and other hadrons. Understanding QCD is important because it is a fundamental theory of the universe and is essential for explaining the behavior of subatomic particles and the structure of matter.

2. What are the prerequisites for understanding QCD?

The prerequisites for understanding QCD include a strong foundation in quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical electrodynamics. A knowledge of group theory, specifically the SU(3) group, is also necessary. Additionally, a good understanding of particle physics and nuclear physics is helpful.

3. How does QCD relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

QCD is one of the three fundamental forces of the Standard Model, along with the weak and electromagnetic forces. It describes the interactions between quarks and gluons, which make up the particles in the Standard Model, such as protons and neutrons.

4. Are there any experimental evidences that support QCD?

Yes, there are several experimental evidences that support QCD. One of the strongest pieces of evidence is the asymptotic freedom of QCD, which has been confirmed through high-energy scattering experiments. Other evidences include the measurement of particle masses and the prediction of the existence of new particles, such as the top quark.

5. How is QCD currently being studied and researched?

QCD is currently being studied and researched through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental observations. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN is one of the main facilities where scientists are investigating the predictions of QCD. Other methods include lattice QCD calculations and high-precision measurements of particle properties.