Preparing for a phys final, springs and bouyancy

In summary, the first question asks about the change in property of helium gas that caused it to no longer be buoyant when liquid nitrogen was poured onto it. The correct answer is B. The second question asks about the magnitude of the maximum angular acceleration of a pendulum described by an equation. The correct answer is D, although the question itself is unclear and poorly worded.
Mathephysicst
Hey all, I am a little confused on this, I was trying to study and these two questions came up... I guess i am confused, I don't know the solutions and I want to know which it is and why...

1. A helium balloon is observed to rise up into the air at the front of the classroom, and is only being held to the ground by a rock. the professor pours liquid nitrogen (77K) onto the balloon. The balloon suddenly drops to the ground. The change in which property of the helium gas caused the balloon to no longer be bouyant?

A. Pressure
B. Volume
C. Temperature
D. Mass
E. None of the above

A pendulum undergoing simple harmonic motion can be described by the expression:
X(t) = .2 sin(π t - .3). what is the magnitude of the maximum angular acceleration of this pendulum?

A. .2 1/s^2
B. .2/π 1/s^2
C. .2π 1/s^2
D. .2π^2
E. none of these.

I have been trying to review these two questions for a while and could use some help.

I feel like 1. should be mass pouring nitrogen onto the balloon, but I was told that was wrong.
2. I said none of these, because I don't know what s is, and on top of that its just two derivatives of the X.

Physics news on Phys.org
s is probably seconds. Angular accelerations is inverse seconds squared.

Last edited:
so then the solution would be -pi*.2*1/s^2?

Mathephysicst said:
A helium balloon is observed to rise up into the air at the front of the classroom, and is only being held to the ground by a rock. the professor pours liquid nitrogen (77K) onto the balloon. The balloon suddenly drops to the ground. The change in which property of the helium gas caused the balloon to no longer be bouyant?

A. Pressure
B. Volume
C. Temperature
D. Mass
E. None of the above
I get "B", because the buoyancy of the balloon comes from the weight of the air it displaces (by its volume) being more than the weight of the balloon plus helium. The balloon keeps the same weight, but when it cools, its volume shrinks, and so it displaces less weight of air and loses buoyancy.
A pendulum undergoing simple harmonic motion can be described by the expression:
X(t) = .2 sin(π t - .3). what is the magnitude of the maximum angular acceleration of this pendulum?

A. .2 1/s^2
B. .2/π 1/s^2
C. .2π 1/s^2
D. .2π^2
E. none of these.
I believe this one is D, though I would just call that "acceleration", not "angular acceleration" (because the equation is for x(t), not theta(t), so it refers to a linear displacement, not an angular one). Just take the second time derivative of x(t)-- each time derivative brings out a factor of whatever that symbol is supposed to be (it looks like it is trying to be pi, but then t is in some strange dimensionless unit, overall the whole question doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense).

the spring one should be D if it had the 1/s^2 right?

That one doesn't make sense unless the funny symbol has units of 1/time all on its own, so then there'd be no need to refer to seconds. However, if the "t" in the formula is intended to really be what most people would call t/(1 second), then the symbol could be "pi" and the answer would need a 1/s^2. I think that question is pretty messed up, or at least the notation and the wording are both rather nonstandard.

It is very strange that 's' should appear, unheralded, in four of the choices.
It is not even clear what X is. You seem to be assuming it's the angle to the vertical, but it sounds more like the horizontal displacement.
Fwiw, if X is the angle and L is the pendulum length then
X'' = -gX/L
X = A.sin(Bt + C), where B^2 = g/L
Hence A = .2, π^2 = g/L
Max positive angular accn occurs at max negative X, i.e. -0.2.
At this point X'' = 0.2g/L = 0.2π^2

Related to Preparing for a phys final, springs and bouyancy

1. What is the best way to prepare for a physics final?

The best way to prepare for a physics final is to review all of your notes and study materials, practice solving problems and equations, and attend any review sessions or office hours offered by your instructor. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and break up your studying into manageable chunks.

2. How can I improve my understanding of springs in preparation for the final?

To improve your understanding of springs, it is important to review the basic concepts and equations related to springs, such as Hooke's Law and the spring constant. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and experiments involving springs to gain hands-on experience and reinforce your understanding.

3. What is the significance of buoyancy in physics and how should I study for it?

Buoyancy is an important concept in physics that explains the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. To study for this topic, it is important to review the principles of Archimedes' principle and buoyant force, as well as how to calculate the buoyant force on an object. Practice problems and visual aids can also be beneficial in understanding this concept.

4. What are the common mistakes students make when studying for a physics final?

One common mistake students make when studying for a physics final is focusing too much on memorization rather than understanding the concepts. It is important to not only know the equations and formulas, but also to understand how and when to apply them. Another mistake is not leaving enough time to practice solving problems, which is crucial for success on a physics exam.

5. How can I stay calm and focused during the physics final?

To stay calm and focused during the physics final, it is important to get a good night's sleep the night before, eat a healthy breakfast, and arrive to the exam early. During the exam, take deep breaths and read each question carefully. If you encounter a difficult problem, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Don't forget to double check your work and manage your time effectively.