Predicting orbits and masses of as-yet-unknown bodies

In summary, Astronuc suggests that Hamiltonian Dynamics can be used to predict the orbits and masses of as-yet-undiscovered bodies, and that this method has been used in the past to predict Neptune and Pluto.
gulfcoastfella
Gold Member
I read an article on Phys.org (The Strange Case of the Missing Dwarf), and as I'm in the middle of reading and studying Hamiltonian Dynamics, the article made me wonder how the unexplained orbits of existing bodies are used to determine the orbits and masses of as-yet-undiscovered bodies. It sounds suspiciously like Hamiltonian Dynamics. Am I right in thinking so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Has one done Lagrangian mechanics before Hamiltonian mechanics?

Here is an interesting point: there is rarely any benefit from using a Hamiltonian instead of a Lagrangian to solve a standard mechanics problem.
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/chap15.pdf

I find examples of both Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics with respect to planetary systems or binary star systems to globular clusters.

Thanks for the reply, Astronuc. When I said Hamiltonian Dynamics, I really meant Hamilton's Principle and Lagrangian Dynamics/Mechanics. I'm currently reading through chapter 7 (Hamilton's Principle - Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics) of Marion & Thornton's "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems, 5th Ed." I've also put a dent in Robert Weinstock's "Calculus of Variations: with Applications to Physics and Engineering."

In Weinstock's text, I've already read about the use of Variational methods to find curves that begin or end at points, but end or begin on curves, respectively. It was this indication that Variational methods can be used with more constraints than just points that got me wondering if similar methods can be used to predict orbits (varied functions) of as-yet-undiscovered bodies based on unexplained motions in already-known bodies.

Neptune and Pluto were predicted that way, with a nice precision for Neptune and a bit more messy search for Pluto.

mfb, I read that Neptune was discovered through the application of perturbation methods. Does this mean a combination of perturbation and variational methods, or did variational methods not enter into the discovery?

The prediction is over 150 years old - all those concepts were quite new back then (Hamilton was 41 at the time Neptune was discovered), I don't know how exactly they did the calculations. It looks like the references here have more details.

Related to Predicting orbits and masses of as-yet-unknown bodies

1. How accurate are predictions for the orbits and masses of unknown bodies?

The accuracy of predictions for orbits and masses of unknown bodies depends on the available data and the complexity of the system being studied. Typically, predictions become less accurate the further into the future they are made. However, with advanced techniques and technology, scientists can make fairly accurate predictions for short periods of time.

2. What data is needed to make predictions for orbits and masses of unknown bodies?

To make predictions for orbits and masses of unknown bodies, scientists need data such as the body's position, velocity, and observations of its interactions with other bodies. The more data that is available, the more accurate the predictions can be.

3. Can predictions be made for bodies that have not yet been discovered?

Yes, predictions can be made for bodies that have not yet been discovered. This is done by analyzing the movements and interactions of other bodies in the system, using mathematical models and simulations to predict the existence and properties of unknown bodies.

4. How do scientists account for uncertainties in their predictions?

Scientists account for uncertainties in their predictions by using statistical methods and incorporating a margin of error in their calculations. They also continually refine their models and algorithms based on new data and observations.

5. What are the potential applications of predicting orbits and masses of unknown bodies?

Predicting orbits and masses of unknown bodies can have numerous applications, such as understanding the dynamics of our solar system and other planetary systems, identifying potential hazards for spacecraft and satellites, and discovering new objects and phenomena in space. It can also aid in the search for habitable planets and in our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe.