Precalculus question using trigonometric equations

In summary,
grafs50

Homework Statement

Can you all help?
The problem is 2 sin(x/2) - 1 = 0 I don't know what to do with the (x/2).

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've done this:
2 sin(x/2)-1=0
2 sin(x/2)=1
sin(x/2)=1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if the sine of some angle is 1/2, what can you say about that angle?

Now,

sin(x/2) = (1/2)
(x/2) = sin-1 (1/2)
(x/2) = (π/6) (Taking only principal value of sin)
x = (π/3)

Well this is the right idea, but it doesn't for just the principal value. Looking for values just in [0,2π), we get that x/2= π/6 or that x/2=5π/6 so x=π/3 or 5π/3. To get any other value of x, just add one of these values by a multiple of 2π.

Alright. But I need the answer in degrees.

So, I would just convert radians to degrees up there?
And I only understand how to come up with one of those two answers still (plug sin^-1(1/2) into a calculator; which gives degrees).

You should know how to convert radians to degrees. If you want to see how to get all values that give you a sine of 1/2, maybe try to draw a unit circle and see where y=1/2.

I was just making sure that that was in fact radians that I could convert to degrees. So I got x = 210, 330 degrees which is the same as the radian answers I saw above and work in the formula. Thanks for the help!

But I have another problem now... there is an equation (-1)+tan(3x/2)=0
I did this:
(-1)+tan(3x/2)=0
tan(3x/2)=1
then does tan x = 3/2?
x = tan^-1(3/2)? Because that doesn't seem to work.

Never mind, I just got it. x= 30, 210 degrees.

Actually how do I know how many solutions are in sin 2x= sqrt(2)/2?
I found x=22.5, but I don't have 22.5 degrees on the unit circle

Sine equals √2/2 when θ= 45°, 135°, etc. That should help

Thanks, I got 22.5 and 67.5 which seems to be right.

I just really don't understand how sin sqrt(2)/2 equals both 67.5 and 22.5 degrees. They are not the same on the unit circle. What about 112.5 and 157.5 degrees. And different rules seem to apply for tan and cos.

For Sine, does just the y-coordinates have to match? What about for Cos and Tan? We are working off-book so I can't look in the book to find how it works and I'm pretty confused.

Last edited:
sine of a number does not equal any number of degrees! You seem to be very confused as to the basic definition, in terms of the unit circle, of the trig functions. You need to review that.

grafs50 said:
Thanks, I got 22.5 and 67.5 which seems to be right.

I just really don't understand how sin sqrt(2)/2 equals both 67.5 and 22.5 degrees. They are not the same on the unit circle. What about 112.5 and 157.5 degrees. And different rules seem to apply for tan and cos.

For Sine, does just the y-coordinates have to match? What about for Cos and Tan? We are working off-book so I can't look in the book to find how it works and I'm pretty confused.

I agree with HallsofIvy. You need to review the unit circle.

Sin(2(22.5 degrees))= (2^.5)/2

Alright thanks everybody.

Related to Precalculus question using trigonometric equations

1. What is precalculus?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concepts and principles of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is considered as a preparation course for calculus.

2. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to model and solve problems related to triangles and periodic phenomena.

3. How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve trigonometric equations, we use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, and the use of trigonometric identities. We also use the unit circle and special triangles to find solutions.

4. What is the role of precalculus in solving trigonometric equations?

Precalculus provides the necessary foundations and concepts for solving trigonometric equations. It helps us understand the properties of trigonometric functions and their behavior, which is crucial in solving equations involving these functions.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving precalculus questions using trigonometric equations?

Practice is key in improving your skills in solving precalculus questions using trigonometric equations. Make sure to review the fundamental concepts and techniques, and try to solve a variety of problems to strengthen your understanding. Seeking help from a tutor or attending extra help sessions can also be beneficial.