Poynting's theorem in Griffith's

• I
  • Thread starter Zubair Ahmad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the individual is struggling to understand the physics behind a theorem they learned from Griffith's electrodynamics, and is seeking clarification on the relationship between external and internal charges and Maxwell's equations in relation to Poynting's theorem. They have been directed to additional resources and it has been clarified that any system following Maxwell's equations will also follow Poynting's theorem.
Zubair Ahmad
I am in trouble with this theorem. I did it from Griffith's electrodynamics but I am not getting the physics of it. So can someone explain it lucidly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zubair Ahmad said:
I am not getting the physics of it
@Lord Jestocost has given some good general material on the topic. If you want more specific responses then you will need to make a more specific question. What specifically are you not getting.

I am not getting the way Griffith's has done. He says some charges move around. So I consider these to be some external charges.
Now he uses rho and J of these external charges but when he uses Maxwell equations he relates this rho and J with E and B of older charge and current configuration whose force acted on these external charges?

Forget about external or internal charges for a moment. Do you understand how the math goes from Maxwell’s equations to Poynting’s theorem?

Yes that's clear to me.

Zubair Ahmad said:
Yes that's clear to me.
Ok, so that means that ANY system which obeys Maxwell’s equations will necessarily also obey Poynting’s theorem. It doesn’t matter if the charges are internal or external, if they move in response to the fields or in response to some other constraints, or whatever. As long as Maxwell’s equations are valid, so is Poynting’s theorem.

Related to Poynting's theorem in Griffith's

1. What is Poynting's theorem in Griffith's?

Poynting's theorem in Griffith's is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in an electromagnetic wave. It states that the rate of change of electromagnetic energy in a given volume is equal to the negative of the electromagnetic power flowing into that volume.

2. What are the key components of Poynting's theorem?

Poynting's theorem involves three main components: the electric field, the magnetic field, and the Poynting vector. The electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation of the electromagnetic wave, while the Poynting vector represents the direction and magnitude of energy flow.

3. How is Poynting's theorem applied in practical situations?

Poynting's theorem is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of antennas, transmission lines, and other electromagnetic devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding electromagnetic radiation and its effects on materials and living organisms.

4. What are the implications of Poynting's theorem in the study of electromagnetism?

The implications of Poynting's theorem are far-reaching and have greatly contributed to our understanding of electromagnetism. It helps explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, enables the calculation of energy flow in electromagnetic waves, and provides a basis for the conservation of energy in electromagnetic systems.

5. How does Poynting's theorem differ from other fundamental laws in electromagnetism?

Poynting's theorem is unique in that it combines the concepts of electric and magnetic fields to describe the flow of electromagnetic energy. Other fundamental laws, such as Gauss's law and Ampere's law, focus on specific aspects of electromagnetic interactions, while Poynting's theorem provides a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic waves.