Power transmission and dielectric constant

In summary, the reflectivity of a combination of ice on top of water(infinite half-space) as a function of the thickness of ice can be calculated using the dielectric properties of the ice, the incident light, and the layer thickness.
cesarsalad
How do I find the reflectivity of a combination of ice on top of water(infinite half-space) as a function of the thickness of ice? I know how to find it for each material, it's just rho = ((root(dielectric constant)-1)/(root(dielectric constant)+1) )^2. I'm given dielectric constants for both. I'm pretty sure we have to calculate the emissivity of the top layer of ice, the emissivity of the underlying water, combine them together somehow, and reflectivity = 1 - emissivity.
There is no attenuation, and the thickness varies from 0 to the wavelength. So it's related to the phase shift somehow.
But I don't know how to calculate how much power goes from the sun, let's say, through the ice to the water and how it's related to the thickness of the ice. Does anyone know where I can find such an equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, is the light at some angle - important for determining reflectance (and transmission).

Think about the fact that there are 3 media, and so 2 interfaces, 1 and 2.

At media interface 1, the incident light, I, is split. Say the amount that is reflected is Ir1 = r1I, so the transmitted light intensity It1 = (1-r1)I.

Now some of that light is reflected at the ice-water interface, Ir2=r2It1= r2 (1-r1)I.

OK, but now the light reflected from the 2nd interface must pass through interface 1 again. So work out that equation, and think about the fact that remaining light is going from water to air, rather than air to water.

Then can you write r1 and r2 in terms of the dielectric properties (and thickness of ice as applicable)?

What light that emerges from the ice can be added to the reflected light to get the total intensity.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you

There are going to be an infinite number of reflections. These reflections add up as an infinite series. For example, the total reflection is the reflection from the ice + one that went through the layer once + one that went through the layer twice + etc. What I'm having trouble figuring out is just how.. I know the layer thickness changes the phase, but how, and what does this have to do with the total reflectivitiy? btw, the wave is incident straight down (normal incidence)

EDIT: nevermind.. i figured it out. the phase changes like e^(i*k*d)

Last edited:

Related to Power transmission and dielectric constant

1. What is power transmission?

Power transmission refers to the process of transferring electrical energy from one location to another. This can be done through various methods such as wires, cables, and transformers.

2. What is the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy when placed in an electric field. It is a dimensionless quantity that compares the capacitance of a material to that of a vacuum.

3. How is power transmitted through a dielectric material?

When an electric field is applied to a dielectric material, the molecules within the material become polarized and align with the field. This creates a displacement current, which allows for the transmission of electrical energy through the material.

4. What factors affect power transmission through a dielectric material?

The dielectric constant, thickness, and temperature of the material are all factors that can affect the power transmission through a dielectric material. Higher dielectric constants and thicker materials will result in higher power transmission, while higher temperatures can decrease power transmission due to increased molecular movement.

5. How is the dielectric constant measured?

The dielectric constant is typically measured using a device called a capacitance meter. This device measures the capacitance of a material and compares it to the capacitance of a vacuum, giving a numerical value for the dielectric constant. It can also be calculated using the material's permittivity and the permittivity of a vacuum.