Power Supply Output: Connecting + and - to Plates

In summary, the individual is asking for help in understanding how a power supply works and is specifically confused about the ground and COM components. The expert advises to connect the positive and negative terminals to the parallel plates when making a capacitor and suggests checking for connections between the COM terminal and ground prong using a DMM.
anameel
I am trying to make a capacitor by connecting + and - to the electrodes between two parallel plates. There are + and - and Ground in the power supply which of these should I connect to the two plates and how does it work.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Connect positive to one side and negative to the other. No ground. Check out

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/video-lectures/lecture-7-capacitance-and-field-energy/

LostConjugate said:
Connect positive to one side and negative to the other. No ground. Check out

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/video-lectures/lecture-7-capacitance-and-field-energy/

thanks

I am having a problem to understand how this power supply works. (attached)
photo.jpg

could anyone please explain to me how it works. I am confused with the ground part. Also, I do not know what COM is?

Ignore it.

You simply do not need it.

If you have a DMM check resistance from that terminal to the ground prong on the power plug. They may be connected.

I would guess that the Com terminal is just that, common. Again use your DMM to check resistance between the 2 com terminals.

Related to Power Supply Output: Connecting + and - to Plates

1. What is the purpose of connecting the + and - outputs of a power supply to plates?

The + and - outputs of a power supply are connected to plates to provide a stable and reliable source of electrical energy for experiments and equipment. This connection allows for the transfer of electrical energy from the power supply to the plates, which can then be used for various purposes such as charging batteries or powering electronic devices.

2. How do I connect the + and - outputs to the plates?

The specific method of connecting the + and - outputs to plates may vary depending on the type of power supply and plates being used. However, in general, the + and - outputs should be connected to the corresponding terminals on the plates using appropriate cables or connectors. It is important to ensure that the connections are secure and the polarity is correct to avoid any potential damage to equipment.

3. Can I connect multiple plates to the + and - outputs of a power supply?

Yes, it is possible to connect multiple plates to the + and - outputs of a power supply. However, it is important to make sure that the power supply is capable of providing enough current to power all the plates. Additionally, the plates should be connected in parallel rather than in series to avoid overloading the power supply.

4. What is the maximum voltage and current that can be output from a power supply?

The maximum voltage and current output of a power supply will depend on its specifications and capabilities. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions or specifications to determine the maximum voltage and current that can be safely output from the power supply. Exceeding these limits can cause damage to the power supply and connected equipment.

5. How do I test the output of a power supply connected to plates?

To test the output of a power supply connected to plates, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current being supplied to the plates. Make sure to set the multimeter to the appropriate voltage/current range and follow proper safety precautions. If the readings are within the expected range, then the power supply is functioning properly. If not, it may indicate an issue with the power supply or the connection to the plates.