Power series where radius of convergence > lower limit

In summary: The limsup of the ratios is 3, and the limsup of the elements is 3^(1/n) if n is even and 3^(1/n)^(1/n) if n is odd. So the limsup of the ratios is the same as the limsup of the elements.
Risborg

Homework Statement

Let ##\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} a_n(z-a)^n## be a real or complex power series and set ##\alpha =
\limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}##. If ##\alpha = \infty## then the convergence radius ##R=0##, else ##R## is given by ##R = \frac{1}{\alpha}##, where ##0<R\leq\infty##.
A lower bound for the convergence radius can by found by using ##\beta = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{|a_{n+1}|}{|a_n|} ##, such that ##\frac{1}{\beta} = \tilde{R}##, so ##\tilde{R} \leq R##

Construct an example of a power series where ##\tilde{R} \neq R##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried some different kinds of values for ##a_n##, but I always end up with same answer for ##R## and ##\tilde{R}##.
I think i need to define ##a_n## recursively, but I don't know how to prove it, below I've written the relation between ##a_n## and ##a_{n+1}##.

##\beta^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{|a_{n}|}{|a_{n+1}|} < \alpha^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_n|^{-\frac{1}{n}}##
which implies that
##\limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow0\infty} |a_{n+1}| > \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_{n}||a_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}##
I tried a few recursively defined ##a_n## but then I ended up with complicated expressions that I could find the limit of.

Can you think of a clever way to define ##a_n##, or do you have some suggestions for what I could do next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Risborg said:

Homework Statement

Let ##\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} a_n(z-a)^n## be a real or complex power series and set ##\alpha =
\limsup\limits_{x\rightarrow0} |a_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}##. If ##\alpha = \infty## then the convergence radius ##R=0##, else ##R## is given by ##R = \frac{1}{\alpha}##, where ##0<R\leq\infty##.
A lower bound for the convergence radius can by found by using ##\beta = \limsup\limits_{x\rightarrow0} \frac{|a_{n+1}|}{|a_n|} ##, such that ##\frac{1}{\beta} = \tilde{R}##, so ##\tilde{R} \leq R##
Both of your limits are as x → 0, but x is not in the expressions you're taking the limits of. What should it be?

Risborg said:
Construct an example of a power series where ##\tilde{R} \neq R##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried some different kinds of values for ##a_n##, but I always end up with same answer for ##R## and ##\tilde{R}##.
I think i need to define ##a_n## recursively, but I don't know how to prove it, below I've written the relation between ##a_n## and ##a_{n+1}##.

##\beta^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{|a_{n}|}{|a_{n+1}|} < \alpha^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{x\rightarrow0} |a_n|^{-\frac{1}{n}}##
which implies that
##\limsup\limits_{x\rightarrow0} |a_{n+1}| > \limsup\limits_{x\rightarrow0} |a_{n}||a_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}##
I tried a few recursively defined ##a_n## but then I ended up with complicated expressions that I could find the limit of.

Can you think of a clever way to define ##a_n##, or do you have some suggestions for what I could do next?

Likes Risborg
Oops I forgot to change the variables when I copied from a latex example, it should be fixed now.

Risborg said:
##\beta^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{|a_{n}|}{|a_{n+1}|} < \alpha^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_n|^{-\frac{1}{n}}##
which implies that
##\limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow0\infty} |a_{n+1}| > \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_{n}||a_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}##
You cannot multiply like that.

You don't have to prove anything for the general case, it is sufficient to construct a counterexample. You want β to be large and α to be small. How can you make the limsup of the ratios large without making all the elements large?

Likes Risborg
Okay thank you so much for the help.
I think I found a solution by choosing ##a_n = 2## if ##n## is even and ##a_n = 3## if ##n## is odd, then I end up having ##\tilde{R} = \frac{2}{3} < 1 = R##.

Correct.

Related to Power series where radius of convergence > lower limit

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form f(x) = a0 + a1(x-c) + a2(x-c)2 + a3(x-c)3 + ..., where a0, a1, a2, ... are constants and c is a fixed value called the center of the series. This series can be used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms with increasing powers of x.

2. What is the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is a measure of how far from the center c the series can be extended before it diverges. It is determined by the ratio test, and the series will converge for all values of x within the radius of convergence.

3. How is the radius of convergence related to the lower limit of a power series?

The lower limit of a power series is the value of x where the series begins to converge. The radius of convergence is always greater than or equal to the lower limit, meaning the series may converge for values of x greater than the lower limit, but not necessarily for all values within the radius of convergence.

4. Can a power series have a radius of convergence greater than its lower limit?

Yes, it is possible for a power series to have a radius of convergence that is greater than its lower limit. This means that the series will converge for values of x beyond the lower limit, but may diverge for some values within the radius of convergence.

5. How is the radius of convergence affected by the coefficients of a power series?

The coefficients of a power series have a direct impact on the radius of convergence. If the coefficients decrease rapidly as the powers of x increase, the radius of convergence will be larger. On the other hand, if the coefficients increase or do not decrease quickly, the radius of convergence will be smaller.