Power Series Expansion: Solving for 1/1+z at z=-5 with Radius of Convergence

In summary, the power series expansion of $\frac{1}{1+z}$ at $z=-5$ is $-\frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z+5}{4}\right)^n$, which is convergent inside but not on the circle of radius 4 units centred at $z=-5$. The radius of convergence is determined by the distance from the centre of expansion to the nearest singularity, which in this case is 4 units.
Stephen88
I'm trying to find the power series expansion of 1/1+z at z=-5 and the radius of convergence.How should I think and solve this problem?
I'm looking for a step by step explanation because I want to understand the mechanics behind it.Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This could work: $\dfrac{1}{{1 + z}} = \dfrac{1}{{6 + (z - 5)}} = \dfrac16\cdot\dfrac{1}{{1 + \frac{{z - 5}}{6}}}$

Last edited:
Thanks but how did you come up with that...and why in this form?

Krizalid said:
This could work: $\dfrac{1}{{1 + z}} = \dfrac{1}{{6 + (z - 5)}} = \dfrac{1}{{1 + \frac{{z - 5}}{6}}}$
With a $\frac 16$ factor :p

Haha, yes, Moo, I forgot to add it.

Stefan because given a power series $\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty b_k(z-a)^k,$ you have $a$ is the center, so what I'm doing there is to invoke the geometric series centered at $z=5.$

again same question also is z=-5 meaning it should be z+5 (below) if it was 5 =5 the it should be ...z-5(below),right?

I think I get what you mean, so yes.

so below should be -4+(z+5) maybe?

Oh I'm sorry, I misread the question, yes, that's it.
I thought you were asking it for $z=5.$

so the power series is ...Sum 1/(4^n+1)*(z+5)...with R=-5...?

StefanM said:
so the power series is ...Sum 1/(4^n+1)*(z+5)...with R=-5...?

Just to summarise what has been written...

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 + z} &= \frac{1}{-4 + (z + 5)} \\ &= -\frac{1}{4}\left[\frac{1}{1 - \frac{z + 5}{4}}\right] \end{align*} \]

and keeping in mind that $\displaystyle \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}a\,r^n = \frac{a}{1 - r} $ for $ \displaystyle |r| < 1 $, and taking note that $\displaystyle \frac{1}{1 - \frac{z + 5}{4}} $ is of the form $ \displaystyle \frac{a}{1 - r} $, that means

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{1}{4}\left[\frac{1}{1 - \frac{z + 5}{4}}\right] &= -\frac{1}{4} \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{z + 5}{4}\right)^n \end{align*} \]

and this series is convergent where

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left|\frac{z + 5}{4}\right| &< 1 \\ \frac{|z + 5|}{|4|} &< 1 \\ \frac{|z + 5|}{4} &< 1 \\ |z + 5| &< 4 \end{align*} \]

in other words, the series is convergent inside but not on the circle of radius 4 units centred at z = -5.

A useful check in problems like this is that the radius of convergence is always the distance from the centre of expansion to the nearest singularity. In this case the expansion is centred at $z=-5$, and the function $\frac1{1+z}$ has a singularity at $z=-1$. The distance from –5 to –1 is 4, so that is the radius of convergence (confirming that the answer in the previous comment is correct).

Related to Power Series Expansion: Solving for 1/1+z at z=-5 with Radius of Convergence

1. What is a power series expansion?

A power series expansion is a mathematical concept used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms, each with an increasing degree of a chosen variable. It is useful in approximating functions and solving differential equations.

2. How is a power series expansion written?

A power series expansion is typically written in the form of Σan(x-c)n, where 'a' is a constant, 'x' is the variable, 'c' is the center of the series, and 'n' is the degree of the term. It can also be written using the sigma notation Σ, which represents the sum of the terms from n=0 to n=infinity.

3. What is the purpose of a power series expansion?

The purpose of a power series expansion is to approximate a function using a simpler series of terms. This allows for easier computation and analysis of functions that may be difficult to solve directly. It can also be used to represent a function in a different form for easier manipulation or solving.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series expansion is a type of power series expansion that is centered around a specific point, often denoted as 'a'. A Maclaurin series is a type of Taylor series where the center of the series is at 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series.

5. How is a power series expansion used in real-world applications?

Power series expansions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are often used to approximate functions in order to make calculations and predictions. For example, a power series expansion can be used to model the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population over time.