Power, Resistance, Voltage, Current

In summary, you have a 100W with resistance 484 ohms what's the current? that'd come up asI=Sqroot(P/R)= 0.454 A.
skepticwulf
Suppose I have a tungsten filament lamp with a resistance 0,32 ohm
If it operates on 220V line, its power is P=V^2/R=151250W !
However, If the problem is given like , "you have a 100W with resistance 0,32 ohm what's the current? that'd come up as
I=Sqroot(P/R)=17,6A
First result doesn't make sense, or doesn't look "realistic" but the second one does. But they both stem from the same formula: P=IV
Why does it seem to me that these two formulas does not reconcile with each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
They arent the same problems. In A you give both the voltage and resistance, finding the power. But in B you give the power and then find the current. The only variable the same between the two is the resistance. The voltage, current, and power are wildly different. Use the same values for all your variables and you'll find that the formulas work great.

+1 to what Drakkith said. They aren't the same problem. The data in the first implies something more like a searchlight than a regular light bulb.

Suppose I rewrite your OP so they are the same and more realistic...

I have a tungsten filament lamp with a resistance 484 ohms
If it operates on 220V line, its power is P=V^2/R=100W.

If the problem is given like, "you have a 100W with resistance 484 ohm what's the current? that'd come up as
I=Sqroot(P/R)= 0.454 A.

As a check... P = I*V = 0.454 * 220 = 100W

All consistent now.

Aside: If you are tempted to measure the resistance of a filament be aware that it changes with temperature. The resistance when the filament is cold will be somewhat different to when it's glowing white hot. The calculations above assume the hot value for the resistance.

Thank you but in my textbook's example the resistance of a tungsten lamb was given as 0.32 ohm.
Maybe that confused me and maybe I should have taken it like this: "For the resistance value of 0.32 ohm on a 220V line you will get a maximum power of 151250W.
But if you connect a 100W lamp to the line with 0.32 ohm resistance you will get 17.6A of current". That's the notion of being two problems "different" Am I correct?

Last edited:
In the second case the voltage is not 220 V but around 5.5 V. The two situations are different, even though the lamp may be the same.

Thank you :)

Related to Power, Resistance, Voltage, Current

1. What is the difference between power and resistance?

Power refers to the rate at which energy is consumed or produced, while resistance is a measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electrical current. In other words, power is the ability to do work, while resistance is a property that affects the flow of electricity.

2. How is voltage related to current?

Voltage and current are two of the most important concepts in electricity. Voltage is the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge through a material. In other words, voltage is the force that drives current through a circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for power, resistance, voltage, and current?

The unit of measurement for power is watts (W), for resistance is ohms (Ω), for voltage is volts (V), and for current is amperes (A).

4. How does increasing resistance affect current?

Increasing resistance in a circuit will result in a decrease in current, as the resistance will impede the flow of electricity. This is known as Ohm's law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

5. Can voltage and current be manipulated?

Voltage and current can both be manipulated in an electrical circuit through the use of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and transformers. These components can be used to adjust the flow of electricity and change the characteristics of a circuit.