Power reflectoin coefficient of EM Radiation on a good conductor

In summary, the conversation is about a mistake made in a problem involving power reference coefficients and how negating one term led to an incorrect answer. The mistake was identified and corrected, but the correct answer is still not obtained.
Plutoniummatt

Homework Statement

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/Plutoniummatt/Untitled-1-2.jpg
Untitled-1-2.jpg

Homework Equations

Pwr Ref Coeff:

(Z'-Z)/(Z'+Z) all squared

I maybe made a mistake but i can't spot it. And its bugging me
I did square the whole thing afterward for the power...but i just have a sign error

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/Plutoniummatt/PhysicsBSupervision7.jpg

Please note that in negating one of my terms I underlined the wrong things, I did not negate u0/e0. but everything else in the demoninator because they are much smaller

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to do the problem, but I do know that you made a mistake when you multiplied the numerator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The i's don't go away for the numerator.

JaWiB said:
I don't know how to do the problem, but I do know that you made a mistake when you multiplied the numerator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The i's don't go away for the numerator.

Yep I realized that shortly after posting...It still doesn't give the right answer

Related to Power reflectoin coefficient of EM Radiation on a good conductor

What is the power reflection coefficient of EM radiation on a good conductor?

The power reflection coefficient is a measure of how much of the incident electromagnetic (EM) radiation is reflected by a good conductor. It is represented by the symbol Γ and is a unitless quantity between 0 and 1.

How is the power reflection coefficient calculated?

The power reflection coefficient is calculated by taking the ratio of the reflected power to the incident power. It can also be calculated by taking the square of the magnitude of the reflection coefficient, which is the complex reflection coefficient with both magnitude and phase components.

What factors affect the power reflection coefficient on a good conductor?

The power reflection coefficient on a good conductor is affected by several factors including the conductivity and thickness of the material, the frequency and angle of incidence of the EM radiation, and the dielectric constant of the material.

What is the significance of the power reflection coefficient in EM radiation?

The power reflection coefficient is an important parameter in understanding how EM radiation interacts with a good conductor. It can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of EM waves in various applications such as antennas, transmission lines, and radar systems.

How is the power reflection coefficient related to the standing wave ratio (SWR)?

The power reflection coefficient and the standing wave ratio (SWR) are mathematically related, with SWR being the inverse of the reflection coefficient. A lower SWR indicates a higher reflection coefficient and vice versa. Both parameters are used to measure the efficiency and performance of RF systems.