Power of Two Lenses: Find d & l

In summary: Therefore, in summary, to design a thin-lens telephoto lens with a back focal distance of 50 mm and an effective focal length of 200 mm, we can use the lens maker equation to calculate the radii of curvature of the lenses and then use the power equation to find the power of each lens. The maximum system length would be 100 mm and the lenses would be in air.
Aelo

Homework Statement

Design a thin-lens telephoto lens with a back focal distance of 50 mm and an effective focal length of 200 mm, and a maximum system length (distance between first lens and image) of 100 mm. Find the power of each of the two lenses. (Lenses are in air.)

Homework Equations

Power, K = 1/(focal length, f)
Max system length = d + l', where d is the distance between the two lenses and l' is the distance from the second lens to the image. (This is not an equation I "know" - I came up with it myself, so it could be faulty.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know of only two equations with the effective focal length - one comes from constructing the system vertex matrix (AKA ABCD), and the other comes from doing a paraxial ray tracing (AKA YNU). However, I don't believe I have enough information to use either method, although - making a guess - I would say that I would use the vertex matrix method. There are more equations for that, which I've attached in an image.

Using the given effective focal length and the BFD, I could find the Av element of the matrix. But with both d and l' unknown, I don't know how I could use that to solve for either K.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 782
Physics news on Phys.org
So, I'm stuck. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks! A:I think the way to solve this is by using the lens maker equation. $$\frac{1}{f}=\frac{n-1}{R_1} + \frac{n-1}{R_2}$$where $f$ is the focal length, $n$ is the refractive index of the material, and $R_1$ and $R_2$ are the radii of curvature of the surfaces of the lenses. We have that $$f=200\mathrm{mm}, \quad n=1.$$Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:$$\frac{1}{200}=\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}$$Now, we can rearrange the equation to get $$R_1R_2 = 200(R_1+R_2)$$From the given data, we know the sum of $R_1$ and $R_2$ which is$$R_1+R_2 = \frac{50}{2}+\frac{100}{2} = 75\mathrm{mm}$$Substituting this in the above equation, we get $$R_1R_2 = 15000\mathrm{mm}^2$$Now, we can solve for the individual radii of curvature. $$R_1 = \sqrt{15000} = 122.5\mathrm{mm}, \quad R_2=-75\mathrm{mm}$$Now, we can calculate the power of each lens using the lens maker equation$$K_1 = \frac{1}{R_1} = \frac{1}{122.5} \approx 0.00815\mathrm{D}, \quad K_2 = \frac{1}{R_2} = -\frac{1}{75} = -0.0133\mathrm{D}$$

Related to Power of Two Lenses: Find d & l

1. What is the "Power of Two Lenses" concept?

The "Power of Two Lenses" refers to the use of two lenses in a microscope or telescope to magnify an image or object. This allows for greater magnification and resolution than using a single lens.

2. How do I find the distance between the two lenses (d) in this concept?

The distance between the two lenses (d) can be found by using the thin lens formula, which states that 1/f = 1/d1 + 1/d2, where f is the focal length of the lenses and d1 and d2 are the distances from the lenses to the object and the image, respectively. By rearranging this formula, we can solve for d.

3. What is the significance of the distance between the two lenses (d) in the "Power of Two Lenses" concept?

The distance between the two lenses (d) determines the magnification and resolution of the image. A shorter distance will result in greater magnification and resolution, while a longer distance will result in lower magnification and resolution.

4. How do I find the focal length (l) of each lens in the "Power of Two Lenses" concept?

The focal length (l) of each lens can be found by using a known object, such as a ruler, and measuring the distance between the object and the image produced by the lenses. By using the thin lens formula and solving for f, we can determine the focal length of each lens.

5. Can the "Power of Two Lenses" concept be applied to other optical instruments besides microscopes and telescopes?

Yes, the "Power of Two Lenses" concept can be applied to other optical instruments such as cameras and binoculars. By using two lenses, these instruments can achieve greater magnification and resolution, resulting in clearer and more detailed images.