Power Dissipation in Resistive Circuit Conceptual Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving a circuit with one resistor and a battery, and then adding a second identical resistor in series. The question asks to define the total power dissipated by the circuit in terms of P_0. The relevant equations used are P = V^2/R = I^2*R, and the student has tried solving the problem using V^2/R and I^2*R, but is unsure why the latter does not give the correct solution. They also consider the impact of the added resistor on current and power.
sushii9
Hey guys, so I have a homework question that I have already solved one way, but when I try it another way I can't seem to get the correct answer.
First of all, the question is:
"A single resistor is wired to a battery as shown in the diagram http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1011457/10/1011457A.jpg" Define the total power dissipated by this circuit as P_0.
Now, a second identical resistor is wired in series with the first resistor as shown in the second diagram http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1011457/10/1011457B.jpg" .
What is the power, in terms of P_0, dissipated by this circuit?"

Relevant equations:
P = V^2/R = I^2*R

So I have solved the equation by using V^2/R (P = V^2/(2R) = P_0/2), however the first way I tried to solve it was with I^2*R. I know this equation is correct, so why doesn't it give me the right solution? If anyone could give me an explanation I would be grateful. (My work is shown below)

P = I^2 * (R + R) = I^2 * 2R = 2 * P_0 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I guess you are treating the two resistors as one resistor with double the resistance?
Would the current really be the same? I think you may find the V=IR, so I=V/R, if the V is constant and the resistance doubles then the current will half.
so I(f) the final current (after the addition of the second resistor) is half the initial current, I(s).

so

P(0)=I(s)^2*R

P(f)=I(f)^2*2R

=(1/2 I(s))^2*2R

=(1/4)I(s)^2*2R

=(1/2)P(0)Edit to ask: Does that make sense?

Related to Power Dissipation in Resistive Circuit Conceptual Question

1. What is power dissipation in a resistive circuit?

Power dissipation in a resistive circuit refers to the amount of energy that is converted to heat as current passes through a resistor. This heat is generated due to the resistance of the material and can cause the resistor to heat up.

2. How is power dissipation calculated in a resistive circuit?

The power dissipation in a resistive circuit is calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms. This formula is known as Joule's law.

3. What factors affect power dissipation in a resistive circuit?

The main factors that affect power dissipation in a resistive circuit are the current flowing through the circuit and the resistance of the material. Higher current or resistance will result in higher power dissipation, while lower values will result in lower power dissipation.

4. How does power dissipation affect the performance of a resistive circuit?

If a resistive circuit is designed to handle a certain amount of power dissipation, exceeding this limit can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail. It can also affect the accuracy of the circuit, as the resistance of the material may change as it heats up.

5. How can power dissipation be reduced in a resistive circuit?

To reduce power dissipation in a resistive circuit, one can use resistors with a higher power rating, decrease the current flowing through the circuit, or use materials with lower resistance values. Additionally, using heat sinks or cooling methods can help dissipate the heat generated by the resistor.