Power dissipation due to temperature change

In summary, when a heater dissipates 500W with an applied potential difference of 110V and a wire temperature of 800C, the power dissipated would be 610W if the wire temperature were held at 200C. This calculation is based on the equation P=V^2/R and the linear dependence of resistance on temperature, where Rf=24.2(1+4.0e-4(200-800). However, the correct answer may vary depending on the assumptions and equations used.
KingBigness

Homework Statement

Heater dissipates 500W when applied potential diference is 110V and wire is 800C. How much power would it dissipate if the wire temperature were held at 200C?

Homework Equations

a=4.0e-4

p=V^2/R
Rf=R0(1+a(T-T0) where R is resistance after temp change
R0 is initial resistance
a is coefficient of resistivity

The Attempt at a Solution

P=V^2/R
R=V^2/P

R=110^2/500
R=24.2

Rf=24.2(1+4.0e-4(200-800)
Rf=18.392

P=110^2/18.392

I'm sure it is just a silly mistake I have done somewhere only just started electronics today after a 2 month university break!

Answer should be 610W

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The method is correct and the calculation is correct. Unless you are expected to use something other than a linear dependence of resistance on temperature (which would be more realistic for a temperature change as big as 400 degrees), the correct answer should be what you have. How do you know the correct answer is 610W?

Cheers for the reply, that is what the answer says but it has been known to be wrong sometimes.

I'll double check with my lecturer, he my have just wrote the wrong answer down.

Thanks again

Related to Power dissipation due to temperature change

1. How does temperature change affect power dissipation?

Temperature change affects power dissipation by altering the resistance of materials. As temperature increases, the resistance of materials also increases, resulting in more power being dissipated.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and power dissipation?

The relationship between temperature and power dissipation is directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, so does power dissipation.

3. How does power dissipation due to temperature change impact electronic devices?

Power dissipation due to temperature change can negatively impact electronic devices by causing overheating, which can lead to malfunctions and potential damage to the device.

4. What factors can influence power dissipation due to temperature change?

The main factors that can influence power dissipation due to temperature change include the material properties of the device, the ambient temperature, and the power supply used.

5. How can power dissipation due to temperature change be minimized?

Power dissipation due to temperature change can be minimized by using materials with lower resistance, improving cooling systems, and optimizing the power supply to avoid excess heat generation.