Power Calculation for Scaled Pump Model

In summary, the model scaled to one-third the size of the prototype has the following characteristics: omegam = 900 rpm, Dm = 5 in, deltaHm = 10 ft, Qm = 3 ft^3/s, and Pm = 2 hp. If the full-size pump is to run at 300 rpm, what is the power required for this pump?
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,

I have this question:
b. A model scaled to one-third the size of the prototype has the following characteristics:
Omegam = 900 rpm
Dm = 5 in
deltaHm = 10 ft
Qm = 3 ft^3/s
Pm = 2 hp
If the full-size pump is to run at 300 rpm, what is the power required for this pump?

Homework Equations

I have found the non dimensional form as:

P/rho * omega^3 * D^5 = f(deltaH/D, Q/Omega * D^3)

density of the fluid, rho
angular speed of the rotor, omega
diameter of the rotor, D
head rise across the pump, deltaH
volumetric flow through the pump, Q

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm really not sure where to start, I thought I could equate the model equation, P/rho * omega^3 * D^5 with the real life size version but I don't have enough data to rearrange it and am very confused. Could you guys please offer a hand? The answer is 18.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you should start with what you thought you could start with.
GBA13 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm really not sure where to start, I thought I could equate the model equation, P/rho * omega^3 * D^5 with the real life size version but I don't have enough data to rearrange it and am very confused. Could you guys please offer a hand? The answer is 18.

What things are different between the model and the full-size version? P, D and omega.
Write the full-size version in terms of the model parameters.

RUber said:
I think that you should start with what you thought you could start with.What things are different between the model and the full-size version? P, D and omega.
Write the full-size version in terms of the model parameters.

The problem is that I've posted everything I've been told. Normally it would be quite an easy question but I swear I'm not given enough information. I'll Include a screen shot of the problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 11.02.38.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 11.02.38.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 829
I'm confused. You obtained the correct functional relationship. Is it that you are having a problem with the actual scaling? What would it take to hold the two dimensionless groups in the right hand side of the equation constant, in terms of the required changes in Q and delta H? What would it take to hold the dimensionless group on the left hand side of the equation constant in terms of the change in P?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I'm confused. You obtained the correct functional relationship. Is it that you are having a problem with the actual scaling? What would it take to hold the two dimensionless groups in the right hand side of the equation constant, in terms of the required changes in Q and delta H? What would it take to hold the dimensionless group on the left hand side of the equation constant in terms of the change in P?

Chet

Hi Chet,

Yes it is the scaling which I'm stuck on. As I'm quite new to this I have only done questions where you work out the functional relationship and then equate one side of it with itself and plug in the numbers they give you for the model and full size versions and then rearrange for the unknown. As there is two extra pi groups in this case I'm just not sure what I should be doing.

GBA13 said:
Hi Chet,

Yes it is the scaling which I'm stuck on. As I'm quite new to this I have only done questions where you work out the functional relationship and then equate one side of it with itself and plug in the numbers they give you for the model and full size versions and then rearrange for the unknown. As there is two extra pi groups in this case I'm just not sure what I should be doing.
You need to find the changes you need to have in Q, P, and delta H to hold the three dimensionless groups the same as in the scale model case. You have 3 groups and 3 parameters to play with.

Chet

Ok I get it, I just got them all right! Thanks very much for your help! :)

Related to Power Calculation for Scaled Pump Model

1. What is dimensional analysis and why is it important in science?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert between different units of measurement. It is important in science because it allows scientists to accurately and precisely measure and compare physical quantities, which is crucial for conducting experiments and making predictions.

2. How do you set up a dimensional analysis problem?

To set up a dimensional analysis problem, you must first identify the given quantity and the desired quantity. Then, write down the conversion factors needed to convert from the given unit to the desired unit. Finally, use the given information and the conversion factors to cancel out unwanted units and arrive at the desired unit.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used for any type of unit conversion?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for any type of unit conversion as long as the units are equivalent. This means that the units are measuring the same physical quantity, such as length, mass, or time.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis include not properly setting up the problem, using incorrect conversion factors, and not canceling out units correctly. It is important to carefully check the units and calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. How can dimensional analysis be used to check the accuracy of an experiment?

Dimensional analysis can be used to check the accuracy of an experiment by comparing the units of the experimental data to the expected units. If the units do not match, it is likely that there was an error in measurement or calculation. Dimensional analysis can also be used to verify the correctness of a formula used in the experiment.