Power Broadening: Explained & Resources

In summary, power broadening is the phenomenon where the linewidth of a transition in an atom increases as the power of the laser used increases, even if the laser's linewidth remains constant. This is due to the laser intensity approaching the saturation intensity of the transition. Some useful resources on this topic include the books "Atomic Physics" by C.J. Foot and "Laser Physics" by P.W. Milonni and J.H. Eberly.
Malamala
Hello! I have seen mentioned in several papers the concept of power broadening, which (if I understand it right) means that the linewidth of a transition (say, in an atom) get wider with increasing the power of the laser used (even if the linewidth of the laser is kept constant). I am not totally sure I understand the physics behind it. Can someone explain it to me or point me towards some accessible readings on this topics (preferably not actual papers, maybe a book or something easier as a first reading). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Power broadening appears when the laser intensity becomes close to the saturation intensity of the transition.

A couple of good references:
C. J. Foot, Atomic Physics (OUP, 2005)
P. W. Milonni and J. H. Eberly, Laser Physics (Wiley, 2010)

Related to Power Broadening: Explained & Resources

1. What is power broadening?

Power broadening is a phenomenon in which the energy levels of an atom or molecule are broadened due to the presence of a strong external electric or magnetic field. This broadening occurs because the energy levels of the atom or molecule are affected by the field, causing them to shift and overlap with each other.

2. How does power broadening occur?

Power broadening occurs when an atom or molecule is exposed to a strong external electric or magnetic field. The field interacts with the energy levels of the atom or molecule, causing them to shift and broaden. This can happen in a variety of environments, such as in a plasma or in a laser.

3. What are the practical applications of power broadening?

Power broadening has many practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy, laser technology, and plasma physics. It is used to study the energy levels and properties of atoms and molecules, as well as to control and manipulate their behavior in various environments. It is also essential for understanding and developing technologies such as lasers and plasma-based devices.

4. How is power broadening different from natural broadening?

Natural broadening occurs when an atom or molecule emits or absorbs light at a specific wavelength due to its inherent energy levels. Power broadening, on the other hand, occurs due to the presence of an external field and causes the energy levels to shift and broaden. While natural broadening is a fundamental property of atoms and molecules, power broadening is a result of external influences.

5. Are there any resources available for further understanding of power broadening?

Yes, there are many resources available for further understanding of power broadening. These include scientific articles, textbooks, and online resources such as videos and tutorials. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops related to spectroscopy, laser technology, and plasma physics can also provide valuable insights into the concept of power broadening.