Potential of spherical charge distribution

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an equation for the potential (V) of a spherical charge distribution. The equation is V(r) = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} [\frac{1}{r} \int_0^r \! r'^2 \rho(r') \, d r' + \int_r^{\infty} \! r' \rho(r') \, d r' ] and it can be derived directly from the Poisson equation using spherical coordinates. The conversation also mentions using Gauss's law and integrating by parts to get the general expression for the potential.
Observer Two
I want to derive this equation:

[itex]V(r) = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} [\frac{1}{r} \int_0^r \! r'^2 \rho(r') \, d r' + \int_r^{\infty} \! r' \rho(r') \, d r' ][/itex]

of a spherical charge distribution.

I can do it with the general integral definition of the electrostatic potential (which is basically the utilization of the Greens function). But isn't it also possible to derive it directly from the Poisson equation:

[itex]\nabla^2 V(r) = -\frac{\rho(r)}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

Using spherical coordinates:

[itex]\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 \frac{\partial V(r)}{\partial r}) = -\frac{\rho(r)}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

[itex](r^2 \frac{\partial V(r)}{\partial r}) = -\int \! \frac{\rho(r)}{\epsilon_0} r^2 \, d r [/itex]

Here is the part where I'm stuck. I could maybe "split" the right hand side in the following way:

[itex](r^2 \frac{\partial V(r)}{\partial r}) = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} [\int_r^{\infty} \! \rho(r') r'^2 \, d r' + \int_0^r \! \rho(r') r'^2 \, d r'][/itex]

But then I'm lost how to continue since there is another derivative on the left hand side.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Gauss's law to get E(r). Then integrate [itex]\phi(r)=\int_r^\infty E(r')dr'[/itex]
by parts.

I'm missing something here it seems. [itex]E(r) = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}[/itex] obviously. Integrating that doesn't give me the general expression that I want though.

Edit: Nevermind, got it! [itex]Q = Q(r) = \int_V \! \rho(r) \, d V[/itex] Then it works. Thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Potential of spherical charge distribution

What is a spherical charge distribution?

A spherical charge distribution is a type of electric charge distribution where the charges are evenly distributed on the surface of a sphere. This means that the electric field at any point outside the sphere is the same as if all the charges were concentrated at the center of the sphere.

How is the potential of a spherical charge distribution calculated?

The potential of a spherical charge distribution can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the total charge on the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the potential is being measured.

What is the relationship between potential and electric field in a spherical charge distribution?

In a spherical charge distribution, the electric field is directly proportional to the potential. This means that as the potential increases, the electric field also increases. This relationship is described by the formula E = -dV/dr, where E is the electric field, V is the potential, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

How does a change in the charge distribution affect the potential in a spherical charge distribution?

A change in the charge distribution, such as adding or removing charges, will result in a change in the potential. This is because the potential is directly proportional to the total charge on the sphere. As the charge distribution changes, the electric field will also change, causing a corresponding change in the potential.

Can a spherical charge distribution have a negative potential?

Yes, a spherical charge distribution can have a negative potential. This occurs when the distribution has a net negative charge. The potential will be negative at points outside the sphere, and it will be zero at the surface of the sphere. This is because the electric field lines point towards the negative charges, resulting in a negative potential.