Potential of ring with sphere inside it

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential of a grounded sphere located in the center of a charged ring with a larger radius and a specific charge density. The solution involves using the method of image charges, but there is confusion about how to apply it in this specific scenario. Ultimately, the correct solution involves setting the image ring's charge to -2/pi times the ratio of the sphere's radius to the ring's radius, and setting the image ring's radius to the square of the sphere's radius divided by the ring's radius.
adamp121

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm trying to find the potential of conducting grounded sphere with radius Rs which located in the center of charged ring with Rr (>Rs) with charge density λ, h meters up to the z axis (see the attached images)

Rs=4.3[cm]
Rr=6.6[cm]
h=13.1[cm]
λ=1.0[esu/cm]

The answer should be 0.81023024

2. The attempt at a solution

The sphere potential is easy one -
[itex]\Phi ring=\frac{2\pi Rr\lambda}{\sqrt{z^2+Rr^2}}[/itex]
But how do I get the potential of the sphere?
I've tried to use the image charged method, but I can't get to the right answer.
Can somebody help me?

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
adamp121 said:
I'm trying to find the potential of conducting grounded sphere
Doesn't sound too hard :wink:. Am I missing something?

Can you give me some clue about the calculation of the sphere's potential?

adamp121 said:
Can you give me some clue about the calculation of the sphere's potential?

I don't know how to calculate the sphere's potential but the problem can be easily done by method of image charges. Did you try that?

Yes.

I know how to replace a grounded sphere near to a single particle, but don't know how to replace a grounded sphere with surrounded ring.
I have only the ring’s potential on the Z axis, and it makes it harder.

adamp121 said:
I know how to replace a grounded sphere near to a single particle, but don't know how to replace a grounded sphere with surrounded ring.

Like a point charge, you can replace the grounded sphere with a ring here in this case.

adamp121 said:
I've tried it also, where I set the image ring with charge -
[itex]q'=-2/pi\frac{Rs}{Rr}[/itex]
Do you mean ##\displaystyle q'=-\frac{R_s}{R_r}Q## where ##Q=\lambda \cdot 2\pi R_r##?

[itex]R'=\frac{Rs^2}{Rr}[/itex]
Correct!

Likes 1 person

Related to Potential of ring with sphere inside it

1. What is the purpose of a ring with a sphere inside it in scientific research?

The purpose of a ring with a sphere inside it in scientific research is to study the behavior and interactions of objects within confined spaces. This setup allows scientists to observe and analyze the movement, forces, and energies involved in the system.

2. How does a ring with a sphere inside it relate to physics?

The use of a ring with a sphere inside it allows for the examination of fundamental principles of physics, such as gravity, momentum, and energy conservation. This setup can also be used to investigate more complex phenomena, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

3. Can a ring with a sphere inside it be used in other fields of science?

Yes, this setup can be utilized in various fields, such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It can provide insights into the behavior of molecules, cells, and particles in confined spaces, which is essential for understanding many natural processes and developing new technologies.

4. How is the potential of a ring with a sphere inside it calculated?

The potential of this system is calculated by considering the forces acting on the sphere and the ring, as well as their relative positions and orientations. This calculation involves concepts such as potential energy, equilibrium, and conservation of energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of a ring with a sphere inside it?

This setup has practical applications in industries such as materials engineering, pharmaceuticals, and microelectronics. It can be used to optimize the design and performance of various products, such as drug delivery systems, microfluidic devices, and sensors.