Potential inside a sphere with two regions

In summary, we are given a problem where a charge is distributed in the lower half of a sphere, with the upper half having no charge. We are asked to find the potential inside the sphere, and must use Poisson's equation as the charge is not evenly distributed. This requires an integration over the sphere. The charge distribution is uniform, which is an important factor to consider. We must find the potential at all points inside the sphere, rather than just on the axis. Therefore, we cannot use Laplace's equation, which applies to hollow spheres.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

Suppose a charge is distributed in a lower half region of a sphere and the upper half has zero charge. What is the potential inside?

Homework Equations

Poisson Equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem here is I don't know how to start, I think laplace equation can't be used because there is charge inside, so it should be poisson's equation. But what exactly should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can avoid an integration over the sphere.
What is the charge distribution?

mfb said:
I don't think you can avoid an integration over the sphere.
What is the charge distribution?
It just said that a charge Q is distributed uniformly in the lower hemisphere. Find the potential inside and outside.

"uniformly" is the important keyword here.

shinobi20 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose a charge is distributed in a lower half region of a sphere and the upper half has zero charge. What is the potential inside?

Are you meant to find the potential at all points inside, or just on the axis of the hemisphere?

TSny said:
Are you meant to find the potential at all points inside, or just on the axis of the hemisphere?
All points inside the sphere. If it were a hollow sphere, laplace equation will do but for this case, I think it should be poisson equation?

A mathematical sphere is hollow. Filled it would be a ball.

Related to Potential inside a sphere with two regions

1. What is the concept of potential inside a sphere with two regions?

The concept of potential inside a sphere with two regions refers to the electric potential that exists within a spherical object that has two distinct regions with different electric properties.

2. How is the potential inside a sphere with two regions calculated?

The potential inside a sphere with two regions can be calculated by using the equation: V = kQ/R, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and R is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of knowing the potential inside a sphere with two regions?

Knowing the potential inside a sphere with two regions is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges within the sphere. It can also help in predicting the flow of electric currents and designing electrical systems.

4. How does the potential inside a sphere with two regions differ from that of a single region sphere?

The potential inside a sphere with two regions differs from that of a single region sphere because the presence of two regions creates two distinct electric fields with different magnitudes and directions. This results in a more complex potential distribution within the sphere.

5. Can the potential inside a sphere with two regions be negative?

Yes, the potential inside a sphere with two regions can be negative. This occurs when the charge in one region is negative and the charge in the other region is positive, resulting in a net negative potential within the sphere.