Potential energy of a system (gravity)

In summary, the potential energy of a system consisting of four equal particles, each with mass M, placed in different corners of a square with sides of length d, is given by ep = - \frac{G M^2}{d}*(4 + √(2)). This can be calculated by finding the work needed to move each particle to infinity, which is equal to the negative of the potential energy.
jjr

Homework Statement

Show that the potential energy of a system which consists of four equal particles, each with mass M, that are placed in different corners of a square with sides of length d, is given by
ep = - [itex]\frac{G M^2}{d}[/itex]*(4 + √(2))

Homework Equations

The gravitational force F(r) = - [itex]\frac{G M m}{r^2}[/itex] * ur
Potential gravitational energy Ep(r) = - [itex]\frac{G M m}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time achieveing an intuitive comprehension of how one might solve this problem. As far as I can understand, they're asking how much work would be done if all the particles moved into the center? I'm not sure if I should figure out the work it would take to bring each individual particle into the center one at a time, all at once, or if I need to approach this in some other way.. Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,
J

Physics news on Phys.org
jjr said:
As far as I can understand, they're asking how much work would be done if all the particles moved into the center?

The gravitational potential is zero at infinity. You need to calculate the work needed to take the system apart, to move the particles one by one to infinity. The negative of that work is equal to the potential energy of the system.

ehild

Of course! Thanks:)

Related to Potential energy of a system (gravity)

What is potential energy of a system?

Potential energy of a system is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a force field, such as gravity. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

What factors affect the potential energy of a system?

The potential energy of a system is affected by the mass of the objects in the system, the distance between the objects, and the strength of the force between the objects. In the case of gravity, the mass of the objects and the distance between them play a significant role in determining the potential energy of the system.

How is the potential energy of a system calculated?

The potential energy of a system can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above a reference point. In the case of multiple objects, the potential energy can be calculated as the sum of the potential energies of each individual object.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated. Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position in a force field, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of gravity, as an object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This usually occurs when the reference point for calculating potential energy is chosen at a lower point than the object's initial position. In this case, the potential energy is negative because the object has lost potential energy as it moves closer to the reference point.