Potential energy of a force vector

In summary, the potential energy can be found by solving a system of partial differential equations and evaluating the integral of the conservative force along a chosen path. The potential energy function can then be determined by finding the sum of the individual integrals for each segment of the path. The inclusion of constants can be adjusted to satisfy the partial derivatives and can be made zero for convenience.
element1945
If F is a conservative force, written in terms of a vector:

F = kx i + ky j + kz k where k is a constant,

How do i find the potential energy?

I know how to use partial derivatives, but I am not sure how to integrate a vector. Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have somewhat the wrong perspective on this.

By definition, the potential is a scalar function V(x,y,z) such that
dV/dx = Fx
dV/dy = Fy
dV/dz = Fz
where those are all partial derivatives, not ordinary derivatives.
Finding V(x,y,z) is a matter of solving this system of partial differential equations, that is finding a function that has the correct partial derivatives.

so i just integrate the components;

Ux = k/2 x^2

Uy = k/2 y^2

Uz = k/2 z^2

how do i put U as a scalar function?

element1945 said:
How do i find the potential energy?

1. Choose the point [itex]{\vec r}_0 = x_0 \hat i + y_0 \hat j + z_0 \hat j[/itex] at which you want the potential energy to be zero.

2. Choose a path between [itex]{\vec r}_0[/itex] and [itex]\vec r = x \hat i + y \hat j + z \hat j[/itex] that makes it easy to evaluate the integral

[tex]U = - \int^{\vec r}_{{\vec r}_0}{\vec F \cdot d \vec s}[/tex]

where [itex]d \vec s = dx \hat i + dy \hat j + dz \hat k[/itex]. The force is conservative, so you should get the same result no matter which path you choose. There are no wrong paths, only easier and harder ones. :wink:

Hint: Often it's best to break up the path into segments, each of which is individually easy to do, rather than use a single "straight-line" path that gives you a messier integral.

3. Evaluate the product [itex]\vec F \cdot d \vec s[/itex] and perform the integral. If you chose a path in segments, you'll probably have to do this step separately for each segment. Then, of course, you find the sum for all the segments.

Thanks a lot, but something that i don't understand is how to choose the segments of the path... can i just evaluate the indefinite integral?

When you integrated the first part, you should have written
U = (1/2)*k*x^2 + f(y,z)
From the second,
U = (1/2)*k*y^2+g(x,z)
and from the third,
U = (1/2)*k*z^2 + h(x,y)
Then you ask yourself how to satisfy all of these and see what will do the job.

yeah i forgot the constants...but i thought i wouldn't need them...because i don't have initial conditions to solve for them. thanks

ohhhhhhhh i just need to derive these equations and substitute the constants and find U (x, y, z) Thank you so much guys!

U (x , y , z) = (1/2)*k*x^2 + (1/2)*k*y^2 + (1/2)*k*z^2 + C I am i correct?

Well, you answer the question. Do the partial derivatives give the force components?

As you observed, you don't have the conditions to evaluate C, so you can make it zero anywhere that is convenient (and meaningful) for the problem.

Thank you very much.

Related to Potential energy of a force vector

1. What is potential energy of a force vector?

Potential energy of a force vector is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or configuration in a force field. It is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, and is responsible for the changes in an object's motion.

2. How is potential energy of a force vector calculated?

Potential energy of a force vector is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force vector by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation PE = F*d, where PE is potential energy, F is the force vector, and d is the distance.

3. What are some examples of potential energy of a force vector?

Some examples of potential energy of a force vector include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and an object held above the ground. In each of these cases, the potential energy is stored in the object due to its position in a force field.

4. How does potential energy of a force vector relate to work?

Potential energy of a force vector is closely related to work, as work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another. When a force acts on an object and causes it to move, work is done and the object gains potential energy.

5. Can potential energy of a force vector be negative?

Yes, potential energy of a force vector can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force vector is opposite to the direction of motion, resulting in a negative value for potential energy. However, the total energy of the system (including kinetic energy and potential energy) will always remain constant.