Potential energy in a physical pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential energy for a pendulum system consisting of a vertically hanging rod with a bullet fired into it. The potential energy is derived by treating the rod as a point mass located at its center of mass or by dividing it into small pieces and integrating their potential energy. The final result is given by ##(1/2)mgL(1-cos(@)##.
Quadrat
Hey PF!

1. Homework Statement

If I have a pendulum; a vertically hanging rod with (length ##L## and mass ##m##) which can rotate freely about a point ##p## on the upper edge of the rod. Now I fire a bullet (also with mass ##m##) into it (strictly horizontal on the lower end of the rod).

I want to understand how to get the potential energy from the rod in this case when the whole system have rotated to a maximal angle ##@## and comes to a rest just before it starts to swing back. I treat the bullet as a point mass and can understand that the potential energy of that point particle is given by ##PE_{bullet}=mgL(1-cos(@)##. I know that the potential energy will be equal to ##(1/2)mgL(1-cos(@)## for the rod. But can someone explain to me how to get this result?

Homework Equations

I figure it's some kind of a integral to get this answer but I'm not able to get a grip on this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming it's some integral with the limits 0 and L for all dx but as I stated - I'm having troubles understandning this. It would so helpful if someone could explain this to me in a clear way. :)

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Quadrat said:
Hey PF!

1. Homework Statement

If I have a pendulum; a vertically hanging rod with (length ##L## and mass ##m##) which can rotate freely about a point ##p## on the upper edge of the rod. Now I fire a bullet (also with mass ##m##) into it (strictly horizontal on the lower end of the rod).

I want to understand how to get the potential energy from the rod in this case when the whole system have rotated to a maximal angle ##@## and comes to a rest just before it starts to swing back. I treat the bullet as a point mass and can understand that the potential energy of that point particle is given by ##PE_{bullet}=mgL(1-cos(@)##. I know that the potential energy will be equal to ##(1/2)mgL(1-cos(@)## for the rod. But can someone explain to me how to get this result?

Homework Equations

I figure it's some kind of a integral to get this answer but I'm not able to get a grip on this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming it's some integral with the limits 0 and L for all dx but as I stated - I'm having troubles understandning this. It would so helpful if someone could explain this to me in a clear way. :)

Cheers
For the change in potential energy you can treat the rod as a point mass located at its center of mass (L/2 for a uniform rod).

Likes Quadrat
Quadrat said:

The easy way is, that the potential energy is the same as if all mass was concentrated in the centre of mass.
The more basic way is to divide the rod into small pieces of mass dm=ρdl ( ρ is the linear density) and integrate their potential energy. dU=dm gl (1-cos(θ))
[tex]U=\int_0^L{\rho (1-\cos(\theta))gldl}[/tex]

Likes Quadrat
ehild said:
The easy way is, that the potential energy is the same as if all mass was concentrated in the centre of mass.
The more basic way is to divide the rod into small pieces of mass dm=ρdl ( ρ is the linear density) and integrate their potential energy. dU=dm gl (1-cos(θ))
[tex]U=\int_0^L{\rho (1-\cos(\theta))gldl}[/tex]

Oh I see. So the linear mass density, ##ρ## can be written as ##\frac{dx}{L}## and when I integrate from ##x=0## to ##x=L## I get ##\frac{1}{L}(1-cos\theta)gM\frac{L^2}{2}## which simplifies to what I was looking for. Did I get it right? I'm still having some issues with integrals (but I'm trying to master them).

Thanks ehild and gneill

Quadrat said:
Oh I see. So the linear mass density, ##ρ## can be written as ##\frac{dx}{L}## and when I integrate from ##x=0## to ##x=L## I get ##\frac{1}{L}(1-cos\theta)gM\frac{L^2}{2}## which simplifies to what I was looking for. Did I get it right? I'm still having some issues with integrals (but I'm trying to master them).
It is right :oldcool:

Likes Quadrat
ehild said:
It is right :oldcool:

Great, thanks! :smile:

Related to Potential energy in a physical pendulum

1. What is potential energy in a physical pendulum?

Potential energy in a physical pendulum is the energy that is stored in the system due to its position or configuration. In the case of a physical pendulum, the potential energy is a result of the pendulum's height above its equilibrium position.

2. How is potential energy related to the motion of a physical pendulum?

Potential energy is related to the motion of a physical pendulum because as the pendulum moves, its position changes and therefore its potential energy also changes. As the pendulum reaches its highest point (maximum potential energy), it begins to swing back down due to the force of gravity, converting potential energy into kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a physical pendulum?

The potential energy of a physical pendulum is affected by its mass, length, and angle of displacement from its equilibrium position. A heavier pendulum, longer pendulum, or larger displacement will result in a higher potential energy.

4. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy in a physical pendulum?

Yes, potential energy in a physical pendulum can be converted into kinetic energy as the pendulum moves. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, if there is friction or resistance present in the system.

5. How is potential energy calculated in a physical pendulum?

Potential energy in a physical pendulum can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum above its equilibrium position. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kθ^2, where k is the spring constant and θ is the angle of displacement from the equilibrium position.