Potential different between two points in electric field

In summary: So, in this problem, the problem is asking for the potential difference (voltage) between two points, X and Y. Since the electric field is always pointing downward, the potential difference between the two points will be the same - 3000 volts.
songoku

Homework Statement

If E = 6000 V/m, find the potential difference between point X and Y!
untitled_zps75d69ec8.png

a. 2400 V
b. - 2400 V
c. 6000 V
d. - 6000 V
e. 3000 V

Homework Equations

E = V/d

not sure for other equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric field of X and Y will be the same. To find the potential difference, we need distance. And by distance, I think the distance should be from the electric charge to the point, but there is none.

So, my desperate move is:
V = E.d = 6000 x 0.5 = 3000 V , where 0.5 is the distance between X and Y?

Am I correct? If yes, why can we use the distance between two points? Also, how to determine whether the potential difference is negative or positive?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Vy-Vx = -∫E.dl (Note the dot product)

Set your origin at 'X' with positive x-axis along line joining X-Y .Find the above integral with limits (0→0.5)

Tanya Sharma said:
Vy-Vx = -∫E.dl (Note the dot product)

Set your origin at 'X' with positive x-axis along line joining X-Y .Find the above integral with limits (0→0.5)

I tried your method and I got - 3000 V as the answer. Am I wrong or there are no correct choices?

Thanks

you are wrong. dot product means only the displacement parallel the E-Field does any Work .

and pay attention to the negative sign ... E.d = - ΔV

songoku said:
I tried your method and I got - 3000 V as the answer. Am I wrong or there are no correct choices?

Thanks

Why are you not considering the dot product which involves an angle ?

Vy-Vx = -∫E.dl = -∫Edlcosθ ,where θ is angle between the Electric field and the displacement . θ is constant along the path X-Y and can be easily found from the geometry of the figure .

There is definitely a correct option given in the question.

songoku said:
find the potential difference between point X and Ys
lightgrav said:
It's not clear to me which way the difference is to be taken, ø(X)-ø(Y) or the reverse. Maybe you are supposed to take the unsigned difference.

lightgrav said:
you are wrong. dot product means only the displacement parallel the E-Field does any Work .

Tanya Sharma said:
Why are you not considering the dot product which involves an angle ?

Vy-Vx = -∫E.dl = -∫Edlcosθ ,where θ is angle between the Electric field and the displacement . θ is constant along the path X-Y and can be easily found from the geometry of the figure .

There is definitely a correct option given in the question.

Oh I see my mistake. Ok I have redone the question. I suppose the value of cos θ = 4/5 ?

If cos θ = 4/5, I got - 2400 V as final answer.

haruspex said:
It's not clear to me which way the difference is to be taken, ø(X)-ø(Y) or the reverse. Maybe you are supposed to take the unsigned difference.

I think the sign is important because the choices give sign potential difference.

Thanks

songoku said:
I think the sign is important because the choices give sign potential difference.
if what is wanted is the unsigned difference then the right answer will be the positive choice.
If what is wanted is the signed difference then I've no idea how you choose the right one. Have you quoted the question word for word?

songoku said:
Oh I see my mistake. Ok I have redone the question. I suppose the value of cos θ = 4/5 ?

If cos θ = 4/5, I got - 2400 V as final answer.

Vy - Vx = -2400V

haruspex said:
if what is wanted is the unsigned difference then the right answer will be the positive choice.
If what is wanted is the signed difference then I've no idea how you choose the right one. Have you quoted the question word for word?

I didn't get this question from book, but from my friend. That is the question, word by word, given to me. Maybe he didn't give me the exact question from the book.

Tanya Sharma said:
Vy - Vx = -2400V

Ok.I think I get it.

Thanks a lot for all the help :smile:

The Electric field points "electrically downhill".
Voltages need to specify "from _x_ to _y_", or "at _y_ relative to _x_"

Related to Potential different between two points in electric field

What is the formula for calculating the potential difference between two points in an electric field?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, is calculated by subtracting the potential at one point from the potential at another point. Mathematically, it is represented as ΔV = V2 - V1, where ΔV is the potential difference and V2 and V1 are the potentials at the two points.

How do you determine the direction of the potential difference in an electric field?

The direction of the potential difference is determined by the direction of the electric field. The potential difference will be in the direction of the electric field if the charges are moving from a point with higher potential to a point with lower potential. If the charges are moving in the opposite direction, the potential difference will be in the opposite direction of the electric field.

Can the potential difference between two points in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the potential difference can be negative. This means that the potential at the first point is higher than the potential at the second point. It is important to note that the actual value of the potential difference, whether positive or negative, is what is important in calculations and not the direction.

How does the distance between the two points affect the potential difference in an electric field?

The potential difference is directly proportional to the distance between the two points. This means that as the distance increases, the potential difference decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation ΔV = kQ/r, where k is a constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the two points.

What is the relationship between potential difference and electric potential energy?

There is a direct relationship between potential difference and electric potential energy. The potential difference is the change in electric potential energy per unit charge. This is represented by the equation ΔV = ΔPE/q, where ΔPE is the change in electric potential energy and q is the charge. In other words, the potential difference is the work done per unit charge in moving the charge between the two points.