Potential difference in parallel - capacitors

In summary: So, in summary, when two capacitors connected in parallel are disconnected and reconnected in series without a battery, the total capacitance will remain the same but the voltage across each capacitor will change. To find the voltage across each capacitor, you can use the formula V = Q/C, where Q is the total charge accumulated by the capacitors when in parallel and C is the individual capacitance. It is also possible to use the formula C(total) = (C1 * C2) / (C1 + C2) to find the total capacitance when the capacitors are in series.
StuckInPhysic
potential difference in parallel -- capacitors

Two capacitors C1 = 3 µF and C2 = 9 µF are connected in parallel across a 11 V battery. They are carefully disconnected so that they are not discharged and are reconnected to each other with positive plate to negative plate and negative plate to positive plate (with no battery).

(a) Find the potential difference across each capacitor after they are connected.

(b) Find the initial and final energy stored in the capacitors.

related formulas:
C=Q/V

so far...
so this means that they are in parallel, store up charge, and then are disconnected and reconnected in series without battery yes?

since C(total)=12uF and Voltage = 11v (for both capacitors) I figured that the Q(total) = 1.32*10^-4 C

12uF = Q(tot)/11v

when I apply this total charge to the capacitors in a series (inverting everything) I get 1/3uF=V(1)/1.32*10^-4, V(1)= 44v

before I went on to solve for the other capacitor I submitted this but it was wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

When connecting two capacitors in series the capacitance will decrease: Ct = (C1 * C2) / (C1 + C2) and the voltage will add: V1 + V2.

mmmk so (C1*C2 / C1+ C2) = C(tot) does the same as (1/C1 + 1/C2)^-1, when you say V(1) + V(2) = V(t) is that the same V as when the capacitors were connected in parallel? I'm still entirely confused...

StuckInPhysic said:
so (C1*C2 / C1+ C2) = C(tot) does the same as (1/C1 + 1/C2)^-1
No. It's the total capacitance of the two capacitors when they are in series, after you disconnect from the battery and connect them together in series. So "C(total)=12uF" is incorrect.

StuckInPhysic said:
when you say V(1) + V(2) = V(t) is that the same V as when the capacitors were connected in parallel?
Yes. It's the voltages across the capacitors after you disconnect from the battery. Which of course will be V1 = 11 and V2 = 11.

When I wrote "12uF = Q(tot)/11v" I was applying that to the capacitors in parallel ie what I had described before. When in parallel this is how I approached:

1/3 uF = delta V(1) / Q
1/9 uF = delta V(2) / Q

where Q in both is the same and is the total charge accumulated by the capacitors when in parallel.

I also approached by combining to find delta V(tot):

(C1*C2 / C1 + C2) = (1/C1 + 1/C2)^-1 = C(tot) = delta V(tot) / Q =
delta V(1) + delta V(2) / Q... In doing this I found V(tot) = (1.32*10^-4)/2.25 = 5.87e-5 which... is.. wrong?

StuckInPhysic said:
(C1*C2 / C1 + C2) = (1/C1 + 1/C2)^-1 = C(tot) = delta V(tot) / Q = delta V(1) + delta V(2) / Q
Sorry I misread your original post. You are correct.

but I'm not... maybe small calculation errors somewhere... baaaagh

Related to Potential difference in parallel - capacitors

1. What is potential difference in parallel capacitors?

Potential difference in parallel capacitors refers to the difference in electric potential between the positive and negative plates of two or more capacitors that are connected in parallel. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy that can be stored in the capacitors.

2. How is potential difference distributed in parallel capacitors?

In parallel capacitors, the potential difference is the same across each capacitor. This is because the capacitors are connected to the same voltage source, so they will all have the same electric potential difference between their plates.

3. What happens to potential difference when capacitors are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the potential difference across each capacitor remains the same as the potential difference across the voltage source. However, the total capacitance of the circuit increases, allowing for more charge to be stored.

4. How do you calculate the total potential difference in a parallel capacitor circuit?

To calculate the total potential difference in a parallel capacitor circuit, you can use the following formula: V = V1 + V2 + ... + Vn, where V is the total potential difference and V1, V2, etc. are the potential differences across each individual capacitor.

5. What is the effect of adding more capacitors in parallel on the potential difference?

Adding more capacitors in parallel increases the total capacitance of the circuit, which results in a larger potential difference. This is because the capacitors are sharing the same voltage source, so the more capacitors there are, the more charge can be stored and the higher the potential difference will be.