Potential Difference Across Resistors in Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential difference across a 3-ohm resistor in a DC circuit. The relevant equations used include I = V/R and E = IR. The current is determined to be 3 Amperes and the equivalent resistance is found to be 2Ω. The voltage at the node above the resistor is half of the battery supply.
jensenns
Almost forgot to mention:
This is a DC Circuit!

dumbsaus.jpg

In the diagram above, find the potential difference across the 3-ohm resistor.

a) 1.3 V
b) 3.0 V
c) 4.0 V
d) 5.0 V
e) 6.0 V

Relevant equations:
So far, I used: I = V/R to find current from the battery.
Then there's E = IR.
(Sorry, LaTeX doesn't like me.)

The attempt at a solution:
Using the first equation, I found that the current measures three Amperes.

I also tried using the second formula where I = 3 and R = 3, but that gave me 9 Volts, which isn't an answer.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Consider the equivalent resistance from the node above the 3Ω resistor to below.

If you determined the current was 3 a, then you must have determined that the Req was 2Ω.

In which case, your equivalent circuit looks like just two 2Ω resistors in series. That means then that the voltage at that node will be half of the battery supply.

Oh, duh! I totally forgot. Thank you!

Related to Potential Difference Across Resistors in Circuit

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force that causes the flow of electric current through a circuit.

How is potential difference across resistors in circuit calculated?

The potential difference across a resistor is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). The formula is V=IR, where V is the potential difference in volts, I is the current in amperes (A), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω).

What happens to potential difference when resistors are connected in series?

When resistors are connected in series, the potential difference across each resistor adds up to the total potential difference of the circuit. This means that the voltage drop across each resistor is proportional to its resistance, and the sum of the voltage drops equals the total potential difference.

What happens to potential difference when resistors are connected in parallel?

When resistors are connected in parallel, the potential difference across each resistor is the same as the total potential difference of the circuit. This means that the voltage drop across each resistor is the same, regardless of its resistance.

How does the potential difference affect the flow of current through resistors in a circuit?

The potential difference is directly proportional to the flow of electric current through resistors in a circuit. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current also increases. Similarly, as the potential difference decreases, the current decreases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law (V=IR).