Potential difference across capacitors, can someone check this?

In summary, the potential difference across C2 is 24 volts when C1 = 5.0 µF, C2 = 15 µF, C3 = 30 µF, and V0 = 24 V. The total capacitance of C1 and C3 in parallel is 3.5 x 10^-5 Farads, and the total charge is 3.6x10^-4 C. The voltage across C2 is calculated to be 24 V.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

What is the potential difference across C2 when C1 = 5.0 µF, C2 = 15 µF, C3 = 30 µF, and V0 = 24 V?
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9994/capacitanceqb1.jpg

Homework Equations

C = Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated total capacitance of C1 and C3 in parallel, that is 3.5 x 10^-5 Farads.

So the charge going across is Q = CV = 3.5x10^-5 x 24 = 8.4 x 10^-4 C

Therefore the voltage going across the other capacitor is V = Q/C, which 8.4x10^-4/15x10^-6 = 56V

Which looks really wrong.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait I redid it. I first calculated the total capacitance which turned out to be 1.5x10^-5 Farads.

Got the total charge by Q = CV, 1.5x10^-5 x 24 = 3.6x10^-4 C

3.6x10^-4/15x10^-6 = 24 V

So is that right?

I would approach this problem by first double-checking my calculations to ensure that I have not made any errors. I would also consider the fact that the capacitors are connected in series, meaning that the charge on each capacitor is the same. Therefore, the potential difference across each capacitor can be calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where Q is the total charge and C is the individual capacitance.

In this case, the total capacitance is 50 µF (5+15+30), and the total charge is 8.4 x 10^-4 C. Therefore, the potential difference across C2 would be V = 8.4x10^-4/15x10^-6 = 56V, which is the same as your previous calculation. This may seem counterintuitive since C2 has a larger capacitance, but it is due to the fact that the larger capacitance is offset by the smaller charge on C2 compared to C1 and C3.

I would also suggest checking the direction of the potential difference across each capacitor to ensure it aligns with the given diagram. If the potential difference is in the opposite direction, it would result in a negative value.

In summary, it is important to double-check calculations and consider the circuit configuration when determining the potential difference across capacitors.

Related to Potential difference across capacitors, can someone check this?

1. What is potential difference across capacitors?

Potential difference across capacitors, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for creating an electric field that allows for the flow of electric charge.

2. How is potential difference across capacitors calculated?

The potential difference across capacitors can be calculated by dividing the charge on the capacitor by its capacitance. It can also be calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the circuit by the total resistance in the circuit.

3. What factors affect the potential difference across capacitors?

The potential difference across capacitors is affected by the amount of charge stored on the capacitor, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the potential difference across the circuit as a whole. It is also affected by the presence of other components in the circuit, such as resistors or inductors.

4. How does the potential difference across capacitors impact the behavior of a circuit?

The potential difference across capacitors determines the flow of electric charge in a circuit. A higher potential difference leads to a stronger electric field, which allows for a higher flow of charge. This can impact the overall performance and behavior of the circuit, as well as the brightness of any connected components, such as light bulbs.

5. Can the potential difference across capacitors be changed?

Yes, the potential difference across capacitors can be changed by altering the amount of charge stored on the capacitor or by changing the capacitance of the capacitor. This can be done by adjusting the voltage or by adding or removing capacitors in a circuit.