Post your Physics books collection

In summary, the conversation is about sharing and discussing collections of physics and mathematics books. The initial suggestion is to post pictures of personal collections, which leads to several individuals sharing their own collections and book recommendations. The conversation also touches on the value of collecting books and the shame of not having a larger collection.
jokkon
Hi everyone,

In 90% of social forums there is a thread where people post their computer/home office set up..etc. Given the number of people asking for which books to self learn a particular branch of physics, which books to use for a specific course...etc How about we post pictures of our collection of physics books? This might be of some interest to people.

I will start by posting mine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40832575@N06/4214206220/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40832575@N06/4214206176/
I started my collection 3 years ago when I entered university. These are my prized possessions excluding the popular science book by james kakalios which I've been reading the past week for fun :P

Merry Christmas everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome! Thought no one else was interested.
just out of curiosity, what is that calculus of variations book? is it printed by dover?
I am looking for a text on that subject. Thanks!

I have the same book-
The Calculus of Variations- Gelfand, Fomin

It is the best book on the subject, and it is dover(so <$15).

Once I find my Camera, I will take a picture of my collections. (Hint: There is A LOT(many of which are unread))

I've got myself a pretty dandy collection of physics and maths books.

Cosmology/Astrophysics

Foundations of Modern Cosmology by Hawley and Holcomb
The Science of the Universe by Harrison
Relativity and Cosmology by Kaufman III
Inner Space;Outer Space: The Interface Between Particle Physics and Cosmology by Kolb, Turner, Lindley,Olive and Seckel
The State of The Universe by Ferreira
Teach Yourself Cosmology byBreithaupt
Endless Universe by Steinhardt and Turok (Absolutely STUNNING book)

Other Physics and Maths Books:

New Theories of Everything by Barrow
Physics Demystified by Gibilisco
Linear Algebra Demystified by McMahon
Calculus Demystified by McMahon(I think)
Differential Equations Demystified by Krantz
Relativity Demystified by McMahon
Quantum Mechanics Demystified by McMahon
Quantum Field Theory Demystified by McMahon (and autographed by Terry Quinn)
An Introduction to Physics Part One by Asimov
The Ultimate Tesla Coil Design and Construction Guide by Tilbury

From The Library:

Mathematics for Physicists by Krzywicki
The Six Core Theories of Modern Physics by Stevens
A Different Approach to Cosmology by Burbridge and Narlikar
Physics With Modern Physics by Wolfson and Pasachoff, 2nd Edition

From My Neighbour I have:

The Search for Superstrings, Symmetry and the Theory of Everything by Gribbin
The Fabric of the Cosmos by Greene

Now if I only had time to read all of them

I'm ashamed. I will start the third year of a physics Bachelor's degree. When I saw this thread for the first time I had only 1 physics book : Electricity and Magnetism by E.Purcell.
This thread pushed me to buy another book : Mechanics by Landau & Lifgarbagez. The other books (2) I have are maths books. I have however photocopies of several books as all the students do here (but I'm not proud of it and I'm willing to buy other books).
So you don't need a picture for my collection.

Related to Post your Physics books collection

1. What is the purpose of sharing your physics book collection?

The purpose of sharing my physics book collection is to provide a resource for other scientists and students who may be interested in expanding their knowledge and understanding of physics. It is also a way to showcase the books that have influenced my own studies and research.

2. How many books do you have in your physics collection?

I currently have over 100 books in my physics collection, covering a wide range of topics such as classical mechanics, quantum physics, astrophysics, and more. I am always adding new books to my collection as I come across interesting titles.

3. Are these books suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, my physics book collection includes books that are suitable for beginners as well as more advanced readers. I have books that cover the basics of physics and also more advanced topics for those looking to delve deeper into the subject.

4. Can I borrow or purchase any of your books?

Unfortunately, I am not able to lend or sell any of the books in my collection. However, many of these books can be found at local libraries or purchased online. I encourage you to explore these options if you are interested in any of the books in my collection.

5. Do you have any recommendations for must-read books on physics?

Yes, I have several recommendations for must-read books on physics in my collection. Some of my favorites include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman. I also have a list of recommended books on my website for further reading.