Possible support to Penrose's OR theory?

In summary, according to this article, Penrose is arguing that gravity suppresses quantum superpositions, and that this is why the system is more stable over time.
bremsstrahlung
Doesn't this paper support Penrose's OR theory?

Universal decoherence due to gravitational time dilation

Now Penrose being a very smart guy having realized that he has taken a realist standpoint on Quantum Mechanics very well knows that he has to incorporate some element of non-locality in his Twistor theory to account for Bell correlations.
Towards an Objective Physics of Bell Non-Locality: Palatial Twistor Theory by Roger Penrose

Is Twistor theory becoming an another example of Bohmian Mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bremsstrahlung

I copy my email to Caslav Brukner, and his response, in regards to this experiment (17 June 2015):

Hi Caslav

This morning I saw on physorg.com an article about a Nature article which you are a co-author of: “Universal decoherence due to gravitational time dilation”.

I have a question:

When I see the word decoherence, I immediately think that quantum effects are suppressed, but don’t disappear (interference is harder to see, but if you take the system + environment it is in principle in a pure (superposition) state).

Is this the same with the coupling of the quantum system and the external environment (in this case classical general relativity time dilation); that is even though it the quantum system (either micro or macro) is coupled with this environment, the quantum effects are suppressed but in principle still exist?

Many thanks for any clarity you are able to offer.

Best regards
Stevie

His response:
Hi Stevie,

Yes, you are right, the quantum effects are suppressed but in principle still existent.

All the best,
Caslav

StevieTNZ said:
Hi bremsstrahlung

I copy my email to Caslav Brukner, and his response, in regards to this experiment (17 June 2015):

His response:

If I am not wrong that's exactly what Penrose is arguing that Gravity suppresses quantum superpositions.

In Einstein's theory, any object that has mass causes a warp in the structure of space and time around it. This warping produces the effect we experience as gravity. Penrose points out that tiny objects, such as dust specks, atoms and electrons, produce space-time warps as well. Ignoring these warps is where most physicists go awry. If a dust speck is in two locations at the same time, each one should create its own distortions in space-time, yielding two superposed gravitational fields. According to Penrose's theory, it takes energy to sustain these dual fields. The stability of a system depends on the amount of energy involved: the higher the energy required to sustain a system, the less stable it is. Over time, an unstable system tends to settle back to its simplest, lowest-energy state: in this case, one object in one location producing one gravitational field. If Penrose is right, gravity yanks objects back into a single location, without any need to invoke observers or parallel universes

bremsstrahlung said:
If I am not wrong that's exactly what Penrose is arguing that Gravity suppresses quantum superpositions.
As I understand Penrose's theory, it is gravity that causes wave function collapse. Being suppressed, superposition's are much harder to see. But if the system is in one state or the other, that isn't a suppressed superposition.

Related to Possible support to Penrose's OR theory?

1. What is Penrose's OR theory?

Penrose's OR theory, also known as Orchestrated Objective Reduction, is a scientific theory proposed by British physicist Roger Penrose. It suggests that consciousness is a fundamental component of the universe and that it arises from quantum processes within the brain.

2. What evidence supports Penrose's OR theory?

There is currently no definitive evidence that supports Penrose's OR theory. However, Penrose and his colleagues have conducted experiments that demonstrate the plausibility of quantum processes in the brain and their potential role in consciousness.

3. How does Penrose's OR theory differ from other theories of consciousness?

Penrose's OR theory differs from other theories of consciousness, such as the neural correlates of consciousness and integrated information theory, in its emphasis on the role of quantum mechanics. While other theories focus on the brain's neural activity, OR theory proposes that consciousness is a non-computable process that is not fully explainable by classical physics.

4. Is Penrose's OR theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

Penrose's OR theory is a controversial topic in the scientific community. While some scientists have shown interest in the theory and its potential implications, others have criticized it for lacking empirical evidence and being untestable.

5. How could Penrose's OR theory impact our understanding of consciousness?

If Penrose's OR theory is proven to be accurate, it could significantly impact our understanding of consciousness. It would suggest that consciousness is not solely a product of the brain, but rather a fundamental aspect of the universe. This could have implications for fields such as neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy.