Possible Magnitudes of Vectors in Orthogonal Configurations

In summary, Homework Equations state that if unit vectors a, b, c are in the x, y-plane such that a · b = b · c = 0, then v can have the values of \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{5}
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

A.
Given unit vectors a, b, c in the x, y-plane such that a · b = b · c = 0,
let v = a + b + c; what are the possible values of |v|?
B.
Repeat, except a, b, and c are unit vectors in 3-space

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solutions for both that I'm reasonably sure of, I'd just like a 2nd opinion to make sure I solved the problem correctly.

For part A I got |v| = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]
I took c = <0,1>, a = <1,0> b = <0,1> in this combination |v| = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].
The only other special case is when a = b in this case, |v| = [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]For Part B I took c = <0,0,1>, a = <1,0,0> and b = [itex]<cos\theta,sin\theta,0>[/itex]

Therefore, |v| = [itex]\sqrt{2cos\theta + 3}[/itex], [itex]0\leq\theta\leq 2\pi[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with your argument is that you have picked specific, very handy, vectors a,b, and c that satisfy your properties. So you have answered the question for only those three vectors. You have to argue it for any three such vectors.

Yes, but since the vectors have to be unit vectors and both vectors a and c are orthogonal to b, |v| is going to be the same regardless. You can rotate a vector by a specific angle and the others have to stay orthogonal so they will move as well by the angle maintaining |v|. That's why I chose the most convenient vectors to work with.

Last edited:
themadhatter1 said:
Yes, but since the vectors have to be unit vectors and both vectors a and c are orthogonal to b, |v| is going to be the same regardless. You can rotate a vector by a specific angle and the others have to stay orthogonal so they will move as well by the angle maintaining |v|. That's why I chose the most convenient vectors to work with.

Everything you say is true. If this is homework, I would at the minimum include this additional argument. Still, it is just as easy and more elegant to do it with arbitrary vectors in the first place.

i don't understand,

if b.c = 0, then how come b = c? i.e how can b=<0,1> = c ?

why issn't part 1

v = a + b + c
|v| = [itex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] ?

themadhatter1 said:
Given unit vectors a, b, c in the x, y-plane such that a · b = b · c = 0,

I took c = <0,1>, a = <1,0> b = <0,1>

So you took c=b. Being unit vectors, their scalar product is 1 instead of zero. Which two vectors can be identical instead?

ehild

quietrain said:
why issn't part 1

v = a + b + c
|v| = [itex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] ?

You do not have 3 independent, mutually orthogonal vectors in 2D. One of the vectors a, b, c is linear combination of the other two.

ehild

themadhatter1 said:
Another reason for doing the problem in general is that your specific vectors might not cover every possibility, which has indeed happened here.

ehild said:
You do not have 3 independent, mutually orthogonal vectors in 2D. One of the vectors a, b, c is linear combination of the other two.

ehild

its something like this right?

*****B
**** ^
**** |
A<---|--->C

since they are 3 independ orthogonal vectors, how can one of them be a linear combination of the other two?

how does he get sqrt 2 or sqrt 5?

They are not three independent vectors.

a=c or a=-c, so either v=2a+b or v=b

The magnitude of v can not be sqrt(2).

ehild

You have already been told that there aren't three independent vectors in two dimensional space! The problem does NOT say that they are independent. In particular the problem, does NOT say that c is orthogonal to a. You are given that b is orthogonal to a and c and they are all of unit length which means that either a= c or a= -c.

If a= c, then v= 2a+ b and, since a and b are unit length and orthogonal, the length of v is [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 1}= \sqrt{5}[/itex]. If a= -c, then v= b which has length 1.

ohh.h... isee... thanks!

Related to Possible Magnitudes of Vectors in Orthogonal Configurations

1. What is the definition of orthogonal vectors?

Orthogonal vectors are a set of vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning that they form a 90 degree angle at their point of intersection.

2. How do you determine if three vectors are orthogonal?

To determine if three vectors are orthogonal, you can use the dot product. If the dot product of any two vectors is equal to zero, then the vectors are orthogonal. Alternatively, you can also use the cross product to check if the three vectors are orthogonal.

3. What is the application of orthogonal vectors in science?

Orthogonal vectors are widely used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent and manipulate directional quantities such as forces, velocities, and accelerations.

4. Can orthogonal vectors be in any dimensional space?

Yes, orthogonal vectors can exist in any dimensional space. However, they are most commonly used in three-dimensional space.

5. How can the concept of orthogonal vectors be extended to more than three dimensions?

In higher dimensional spaces, the concept of orthogonality can be extended to include more than three vectors. In this case, the dot product is replaced with the scalar triple product, and the cross product is replaced with the vector triple product.