Possible explanation for kinetic energy

In summary, the kinetic energy of an object is dependent on half of its square because it is a result of the work done by a force applied to the object, which is equal to 1/2 of its mass times the square of its velocity. This can be derived using calculus notation and also by considering the average velocity of the object.
physdoc
why does kinetic energy depend on half the square?
if we add up all the velocities does it not produce half a square?

Physics news on Phys.org
physdoc said:
if we add up all the velocities does it not produce half a square?

imagine you are pushing a cart and produce a rate of change of displacement i.e. velocity and somebody says you have given K.E. to the cart by pushing through a force F.
now the work being done by you is F.dx if dx is displacement and F is related to change in velocity/momentum - so the energy input
you provided is m.dv/dt . dx for a small time dt involving displacement.
this can be written as m.dv/dx. dx/dt .dx so summing up for all such displacement = m.v.dv integrated from v=0 to v=v and that's the energy .with a factor of 1/2.m. v^2

drvrm said:
imagine you are pushing a cart and produce a rate of change of displacement i.e. velocity and somebody says you have given K.E. to the cart by pushing through a force F.
now the work being done by you is F.dx if dx is displacement and F is related to change in velocity/momentum - so the energy input
you provided is m.dv/dt . dx for a small time dt involving displacement.
this can be written as m.dv/dx. dx/dt .dx so summing up for all such displacement = m.v.dv integrated from v=0 to v=v and that's the energy .with a factor of 1/2.m. v^2
Please explain further ...I am not familiar with the mechanics of calculus notation.

If you accelerate something at 1m/s/s for two seconds, it goes 4x as far as if you accelerate it for one second. 22=4

Thanks... That is another way to derive it.

physdoc said:
Please explain further ...I am not familiar with the mechanics of calculus notation.

when one integrates expression like integral of v.dv the result is v^2/2. people not knowing the integration will sum the values from 0 to v and w

So this is the same as what I said?

what do you mean when you say w

physdoc said:

The work done on an object to move it a distance x in the direction of the force applied is Fx. F = ma and a = (v-u)/t ; we also know that x = 1/2 (u+v) t since this is just the average velocity multiplied by time.

Work done = energy transferred = kinetic energy gained. This is m(v-u)/t * 1/2 (u+v)t = 1/2 m (v^2 - u^2). The kinetic energy is defined as the energy due to motion compared to when the object is at rest, so u = 0.

Therefore, KE = 1/2mv^2

w i referred to the total energy imparted to the cart -which is K.E.-work done by the 'push force' which is responsible for the 'motion' the work done is a check on K.E. value. i.e. 1/2. m. v^2

Related to Possible explanation for kinetic energy

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a person running, a spinning top, and a rolling ball.

4. How does potential energy relate to kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. When potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, the object begins to move.

5. What are some factors that affect an object's kinetic energy?

The two main factors that affect an object's kinetic energy are its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the kinetic energy.