Positive Ion passing through a Magnetic Field

In summary, a positive helium ion with a mass of 6.7 x 10-27 kg and a charge of 2e is released from a +1000 V electrode and enters a uniform magnetic field with a strength of 1.0 T. The trajectory of the ion is determined by the right-hand rule and will be a loop in a counter-clockwise direction. The important parameter for the shape of the trajectory is the radius, which needs to be larger than the 2 cm electrode for the ion to miss it. To calculate the speed at which the ion enters the magnetic field, the equation
Electro n00b
1.Homework Statement

BACKGROUND:
A positive helium ion He+ (mass 6.7 x 10-27 kg, charge 2e) is released from rest from the surface of a +1000 V electrode, as shown in the diagram below. It crosses (in vacuum) the gap between the electrodes, passes through a small hole in a 0 V electrode and into a magnetic field, and then begins to move in a curved path as shown. The magnetic field is uniform in the hatched region to the right of the 0 V electrode and is zero to the left of the 0 V electrode (Note: the lines do not indicate the direction of the magnetic field). The electrodes are circular disks with radius r = 2.0 cm and are separated by a distance d = 2.0 mm. The magnetic-field strength is 1.0 T. Picture attached of magnetic field and electrodes.

QUESTIONS:
(i) What is the direction of the magnetic field? Sketch the trajectory that the ion executes while it is within the magnetic field, and explain why the trajectory takes this shape.
(ii) Calculate the speed with which the ion enters the magnetic field, and use this to determine whether the ion can exit the magnetic field without colliding with the 0 V electrode.
(iii) Explain qualitatively how your answer to (ii) would change if the potential difference across the electrodes were increased.

2. Homework Equations
Part i)right hand rule?
Part ii) qU = 1/2 mv^2 , U being the voltage

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For part i) When I use the right hand rule on this question I get that the magnetic field would be coming out of the page but I'm not overly confident that I am correct. The trajectory would be looping back on the 0V electrode in a counter clockwise direction.

Part ii) I used the qU = 1/2 mv^2 formula to get v = √((2qU)/m), which gave me 7.73 x 10^14 m/s
I'm not sure what equation to use to figure out if the ion can exit the magnetic field without colliding with the 0V electrode.

Part iii) As voltage is increase the velocity would increase due to voltage being on the numerator of the rearranged equation for part ii)

Attachments

• magnetic field.PNG
    magnetic field.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
p1. Recheck your right-hand rule ... how did you use it? (I use a left-hand rule myself.)

p2. What is the shape of the trajectory that the charge will follow? What is the important parameter for that shape? What does that parameter have to be for the particle to miss the 0V plate?

In general, it is unusual for the solution to be a matter of locating the right equation and plugging numbers in.

For p1 I understand that there is a relationship between magnetic field, velocity and magnetic force. F = qv x B.

So having a second look at this section I would change my answer to going into the page since velocity vector is pointing to the right and magnetic force appears to be pointing in towards the electrode.

For p2 the important parameter would be the radius of the circle and so I have to find a velocity that will make the radius of the ion's path be greater than the 2cm electrode?

Thanks for your help Simon :)

And - it's a positive charge ... the deflection you had was correct for a negative charge.
You remember your circular motion right? Everything is related.

Well done :)

hey, I am working on the same problem at the moment, and i was just wondering what answer you ended up getting for the velocity as it entered the magnetic field?
I worked out that v=√((2*2000eV)/(6.7*10^-27)) = 309277m/s (note that I converted the eV to J before calculating.
Thanks

I converted the eV to J before calculating.
... I'll show you a trick:

1eV is the kinetic energy of an electron that has been accelerated through a potential difference of 1V.

For an electron: mec2 = 511eV2 (by E=mc2.)

I can rewrite the equation for kinetic energy to use this:
[itex]K= \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}(mc^2)\frac{v^2}{c^2}[/itex]

So if you have kinetic energy in eV, the speed in m/s is $$v=(3\times 10^8)\sqrt{\frac{2K}{511}}$$... now aren't these much easier numbers to handle?
(This is for an electron - you can look it up for Helium (is that He+ or He2+?)

However - notice that electron00b's speed is faster than light?!

If the speed is going to be relativistic then the kinetic energy needs to be $$K=(\gamma -1) m_ec^2$$

Related to Positive Ion passing through a Magnetic Field

1. How does a positive ion pass through a magnetic field?

When a positive ion enters a magnetic field, it will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of its motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and causes the ion to move in a curved path.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a positive ion in a magnetic field?

The trajectory of a positive ion in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the ion, and the magnitude of the ion's charge. The direction of the magnetic field also plays a role in determining the curvature of the ion's path.

3. Why do positive ions follow a curved path in a magnetic field?

The curved path of a positive ion in a magnetic field is due to the Lorentz force, which is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the charge of the ion. This force causes the ion to change direction and move in a circular or helical path.

4. What is the significance of positive ions passing through a magnetic field?

The motion of positive ions in a magnetic field is important in many scientific and technological applications. It is used in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and plasma devices, among others. Understanding how ions behave in a magnetic field also helps us understand the properties of matter and the universe.

5. Can a positive ion's path in a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, the path of a positive ion in a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This is the basis for many technologies such as particle beam steering and plasma confinement. By manipulating the magnetic field, we can manipulate the trajectory of positive ions and control their movements.