Position operator for a system of coupled harmonic oscillators

In summary, the position operator is a mathematical operator that describes the position of a particle in a system of coupled harmonic oscillators. It is related to the Hamiltonian through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and can be used to determine the position of a particle in a system. In systems with varying potential energies, the position operator remains the same but the wave function and probabilities are affected. The position operator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that helps explain the behavior of quantum systems.
mtak0114
Hi

I would like to know if I have a system of coupled harmonic oscillators whether the standard position operator for an uncoupled oscillator is valid, i.e.
[itex]x_i = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (a_i+a_i^\dagger)[/itex]?
where i labels the ions.

To give some context I am looking at a problem involving a linear ion trap. The hamiltonian for this system with N ions is given by something like

[itex]H = \frac{1}{2m}\mathbf{p}^T \cdot \mathbf{p} +\omega \mathbf{x}^TB\mathbf{x} [/itex]

where B is a coupling matrix and [itex]x_i[/itex] is a component of [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex]

This can be diagonalized in which case the Hamiltonian in the new coordinates (call them [itex]\mathbf{X}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{P}[/itex] ) looks like N uncoupled harmonic oscillators (with creation and annihilation operators [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]A^\dagger[/itex]) which describe the collective motion of the original system. Now the original position operator [itex]x_i[/itex] is as far as I have seen always written with respect to the the creation and annihilation operators of the new coordinates (uncoupled oscillators [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]A^\dagger[/itex])

My question is would it be valid to write the position operator as I have done so above? and if so why is it more common to use the more commplicated expression in terms of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]A^\dagger[/itex] as opposed to the one I have written?

cheers

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your question. The standard position operator for an uncoupled harmonic oscillator, x_i = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (a_i+a_i^\dagger), is indeed valid for a system of coupled harmonic oscillators. This is because the position operator is a linear combination of the creation and annihilation operators, which are valid for both coupled and uncoupled oscillators.

In terms of the Hamiltonian for a system of coupled harmonic oscillators, it is more common to use the more complicated expression in terms of the creation and annihilation operators (A and A^\dagger) because it allows for a more straightforward calculation of the system's energy levels and wavefunctions. The expression x_i = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (a_i+a_i^\dagger) is derived from the more complicated expression and is often used as a shorthand notation.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Position operator for a system of coupled harmonic oscillators

1. What is the position operator for a system of coupled harmonic oscillators?

The position operator for a system of coupled harmonic oscillators is a mathematical operator that describes the position of a particle in a system of coupled harmonic oscillators. It is represented by the symbol x and is defined as the product of the position of the particle and the unit vector in the direction of the particle's motion.

2. How is the position operator related to the Hamiltonian of a system of coupled harmonic oscillators?

The position operator is related to the Hamiltonian of a system of coupled harmonic oscillators through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The position operator and the momentum operator (which is related to the Hamiltonian) are non-commuting operators, meaning that they do not have the same result when applied in different orders. This relationship is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Can the position operator be used to determine the position of a particle in a system of coupled harmonic oscillators?

Yes, the position operator can be used to determine the position of a particle in a system of coupled harmonic oscillators. When applied to the wave function of the system, it yields the probability of finding the particle at a specific position. However, due to the nature of quantum mechanics, the exact position of the particle cannot be determined with certainty.

4. How does the position operator change in a system of coupled harmonic oscillators with varying potential energies?

In a system of coupled harmonic oscillators with varying potential energies, the position operator remains the same. However, the potential energy affects the shape and behavior of the wave function, which in turn affects the probabilities of finding the particle at different positions.

5. What is the significance of the position operator in quantum mechanics?

The position operator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It is used to calculate the position of a particle, determine the probabilities of finding a particle at different positions, and is related to other key concepts such as the Hamiltonian and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.