Position of a train engine (Locomotive)

In summary, the conversation discusses the most efficient position for a train engine when traveling on a route with curves and slopes. While the intuition is to keep the engine at the front, simple equations show that it may not make a difference due to factors like compression and air resistance. However, it is generally best to keep the engine at the front of the train as trains work well in tension but poorly in compression. This is why the 'Push-Pull' train was invented, as it allows for better control and efficiency.
Maor Hadad
Hi,
I have a question about where's the most efficient place for a train engine -
Let's say a train has to do a some route back and forth, the route has curves and positive and negative slopes.
In real life - What's the best position for the enginge?

My intuition says it will be most efficient if it will always be in the front -
But when I wrote simple equations I found it doesn't matter -
Because I have neglected many things like compression and streching of the wagons, the air resistance, heat removal and so on.. I'm not sure about it.

Any Ideas?

Thanks/

Science news on Phys.org
Well, it does help to see where you're going. Hard to do from the middle or back.

Trains work well in tension but poorly in compression, keep the engine at the front.

Of course it does :smile:

But speaking in energetic terms - is the work (Force*Length [Joule]) will be the same,
no matter what's the configuration of the engine comparing to the wagons?

If so, why did the 'Push-Pull' train was invented?
Couldn't they just leave the engine in the rear part and add controles to the front?

Thanks

Jobrag said:
Trains work well in tension but poorly in compression, keep the engine at the front.

Thank you, Perhaps you can explain what's the 'physical principles' behind that?

Maor Hadad said:
Thank you, Perhaps you can explain what's the 'physical principles' behind that?
Think of a train as a length of chain if you pull it the links will follow, if you try to push it the links will bunch up and not control well.

Maor Hadad said:
If so, why did the 'Push-Pull' train was invented?
Couldn't they just leave the engine in the rear part and add controles to the front?
Those questions are largely answered in the article you linked...

Related to Position of a train engine (Locomotive)

1. What is the purpose of the train engine (locomotive)?

The train engine, also known as the locomotive, is responsible for pulling and pushing the train cars along the tracks. It provides the necessary power to move the entire train and control its speed.

2. How does the position of the train engine affect the train's movement?

The position of the train engine is important in determining the direction and speed of the train. When the engine is at the front of the train, it pulls the cars, while when it is at the back, it pushes the cars. This affects the train's acceleration, braking, and overall stability.

3. How is the train engine positioned on the tracks?

The train engine is typically positioned at the front of the train, also known as the "head end." This allows for better visibility and control of the train, as well as faster acceleration and deceleration. However, in some cases, the engine may be positioned at the back of the train, especially in situations where the train needs to travel in both directions without turning around.

4. How does the weight of the train engine affect its performance?

The weight of the train engine is an important factor in its performance. A heavier engine can provide more pulling power, but it also requires more fuel and can result in slower acceleration and higher maintenance costs. On the other hand, a lighter engine may be more fuel-efficient and have faster acceleration, but it may not be as powerful in pulling heavy loads.

5. Are there different types of train engines and how do they differ in terms of position?

There are various types of train engines, including steam, diesel, and electric engines. The position of these engines can vary depending on the type of train and its purpose. For example, high-speed trains often have multiple engines distributed along the length of the train to distribute weight and improve stability. Freight trains may also have multiple engines, with some at the front and some at the back, to evenly distribute the pulling power.