Portal Discussion: Human at Speed of Light

In summary, the question posed is about what would happen to a person falling through two portals in a vacuum, ignoring air friction. It is theoretically possible with wormholes, but energy conservation would be preserved by changes in the mass of the wormhole mouths. However, this would not stop the "perpetual motion" machine from operating.
jannin
Hi all,

I am very new to this forum so please let me know if I have posted this in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for any replies :)

Backstory:
My friends and I were playing a game called Portal in which you can place two portals (each of which leads to the other). We were discussing what you could do if you placed one portal right above the other (ie, one in the ceiling and one in the floor) and then began to fall through. From there, the conversation led to what would happen to a person falling through the portals in a vacuum (therefore ignoring air friction).

Question:
What would happen to a person as they approached light speed at the acceleration of gravity? Assume for the sake of the question that this person does not need to eat/breathe/sleep/etc, and that the portals are matterless and do not produce any sort of friction.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
jannin said:
My friends and I were playing a game called Portal
Nice game requiring some physical thinking.
jannin said:
We were discussing what you could do if you placed one portal right above the other (ie, one in the ceiling and one in the floor) and then began to fall through.
You would have an perpetuum mobile, which is ruled out by most physical theories. But if you want an idea, how the world would look like to you while moving close to c:
http://www.spacetimetravel.org/bewegung/bewegung7.html

A.T. said:
You would have an perpetuum mobile, which is ruled out by most physical theories.
Apparently it is theoretically possible to do something like this with a pair of wormholes, but energy conservation is preserved by changes in the mass of the two wormhole mouths; see pervect's post #6 on this thread. He says:
Energy will be conserved in this case via the gain and loss of mass of the mouths of the wormhole.

This, however, will not stop the "perpetual motion" machine from operating :-(. It is possible that some unanalyzed mechanism might eventually cause the wormhole itself to fail, other than that this is a definite issue.

The wormhole mouth at the bottom will get "heavier" because of all the matter entering it. The worm hole mouth at the top will get lighter, eventually acquiring a negative mass!

Related to Portal Discussion: Human at Speed of Light

1. What is the "Portal Discussion: Human at Speed of Light"?

The "Portal Discussion: Human at Speed of Light" is a theoretical discussion about the possibility of humans traveling at the speed of light, which is currently believed to be impossible according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. Why is it currently believed to be impossible for humans to travel at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. This makes it physically impossible for humans to travel at the speed of light.

3. What are some potential consequences of traveling at the speed of light?

If it were possible for humans to travel at the speed of light, it would have profound consequences on our understanding of time and space. Time would slow down for the traveler, and they would experience time dilation, meaning they would age slower than those who are not traveling at the speed of light. Additionally, the length of objects in the direction of travel would appear to shrink. This could also have implications for communication and navigation systems.

4. Is there any research being done to challenge the current belief that humans cannot travel at the speed of light?

There is ongoing research and experimentation being conducted in the field of physics, specifically in the study of quantum mechanics and general relativity, to better understand the nature of light and the laws that govern its behavior. However, at this time, there is no evidence to suggest that it is possible for humans to travel at the speed of light.

5. What are some possible ways for humans to "cheat" the speed of light?

There is no known way to cheat the speed of light. However, some scientists have proposed the idea of using wormholes, which are theoretical passages through space-time, to travel faster than the speed of light. However, the existence of wormholes has not been proven and the technology to create and navigate them is currently beyond our capabilities.