Population III Stars Metallicity

In summary, early Population III stars in the universe were much larger, up to hundreds of solar masses, and very metal poor or even metal free compared to today's stars. This is because metals can catalyze fusion and emit light, reducing the pressure in gas clouds. When put into a simulation, it is estimated that stellar masses were affected by metallicity. However, it is still unclear if metallicity is the main cause or if there are other factors at play. Some suggest that the lack of metals resulted in higher temperatures and thus, higher Jeans mass, leading to larger stellar masses. A paper by Nick provides a good overview of this topic.
Drakkith
Mentor
Early Population III stars in the universe were very metal poor if not metal free and were apparently required to be much larger than todays stars, up to hundreds of solar masses, to form. What does the metallicity have to do with this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Metals can catalyze fusion, metals can emit light and reduce the pressure in gas clouds.
Put everything in a simulation, and you might get some estimate for stellar masses somehow - no idea how this works in detail.

Are you sure this is a causation rather than a correlation? Perhaps older stars were larger for some other reason? I can't see how metallicity would have THIS much of a drastic effect on stellar masses, I would suspect there has to be some other cause along with the metallicity.

I have no idea Matterwave. I've merely read that the reason super massive stars were the only ones that could form was because of metallicity. Or at least that was what I got from it.

I think you can summarize the idea simply: No metals = Less cooling = Higher temperatures = Higher Jeans mass = Higher stellar mass

This seems to be a good overview of the situation (pdf): http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0102503v3.pdf

Nice paper, thanks Nick!

Related to Population III Stars Metallicity

1. What are Population III stars?

Population III stars are the first generation of stars that formed in the universe after the Big Bang. They are believed to have formed approximately 13 billion years ago and are made up of only hydrogen, helium, and trace amounts of lithium. These stars are extremely rare and have not been observed directly, but their existence is supported by theoretical models and observations of the oldest stars in the universe.

2. How are Population III stars different from other stars?

Population III stars are different from other stars in several ways. They have a much lower metallicity, meaning they have a lower abundance of elements heavier than helium. They are also much larger and hotter than other stars, with masses up to hundreds of times that of our Sun. Additionally, they have shorter lifespans and are more likely to end in a supernova explosion.

3. What is the metallicity of Population III stars?

The metallicity of Population III stars is extremely low, with some estimates suggesting they may have had less than 0.0001% of the metal content of our Sun. This is because these stars formed before any heavy elements were produced in the universe, and therefore were made up almost entirely of the primordial elements hydrogen and helium.

4. What is the importance of studying Population III stars?

Studying Population III stars can provide valuable insights into the early universe and the processes that led to the formation of the first stars. These stars played a crucial role in the evolution of the universe, as their deaths through supernova explosions created the first heavy elements, which were then used to form subsequent generations of stars and planets.

5. Are there any Population III stars still in existence?

It is currently unknown if any Population III stars still exist in the universe. It is possible that some of these stars may have survived until the present day, but they would be extremely rare and difficult to find. However, it is believed that the remnants of these stars can still be observed in the oldest stars in our galaxy, providing important clues about their existence and characteristics.