Polynomial Subspace Dimension & Basis Calculation

In summary, the problem involves finding the dimension of subspaces M, N, M+N, and M∩N in the vector space R2[t]. To do so, the linear combinations of p1, p2, q1, and q2 are taken to determine the basis of the span of these polynomials. It is shown that the dimension of M+N is 3 and the dimensions of M and N are 2 each. To find a basis for M∩N, a system of equations is set up and solved, resulting in a basis of {1-t+t^2}.
gotmejerry

Homework Statement

Let [itex]M[/itex] be a subspace of the vector space [itex]\mathbb{R}_2[t] [/itex] generated by [itex]p_1(T)=t^2+t+1[/itex] and [itex]p_2(T)=1-t^2[/itex], and [itex]N[/itex] be a subspace generated by [itex]q_1(T)=t^2+2t+3[/itex] and [itex]q_2(T)=t^2-t+1[/itex]. Show the dimension of the following subspaces:[itex] M+N[/itex], [itex]M \cap N[/itex], and give a basis for each.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the following: if I take the linear combination of [itex]p_1[/itex] [itex]p_2[/itex] [itex]q_1[/itex] [itex]q_2[/itex], I get [itex](a+b+c+d)t^2 + (a+2c-d)t +(a+b+3c+d).[/itex] And a basis of this polynomial is [itex]\{1,t,t^2\}[/itex], which means the dimension of M+N is 3.

And if M and N are finite dimension subspaces then [itex]dim(M+N)=dim M + dim N- dim(M \cap N)[/itex]. The diemnsion of the subspace generated by p1 and p2 is 2, and so is the dimension of the subspace generated by q1 and q2. Am I right? But then from this [itex]dim(M+N)=dim M + dim N- dim(M \cap N)[/itex] I get that [itex](M \cap N)[/itex] has a dimension of 1.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. how do you conclude that dim(M+N) = 3? clearly it's ≤ 3, but how do you know that we need all 3 basis elements to describe something in M+N? it's not immediately clear that span({p1,p2,q1,q2}) is all of R2[t].

2. before you can conclude dim(M) and dim(N) = 2, you should show that {p1,p2} and {q1,q2} are actually linearly independent. this isn't hard to do.

3. assuming you do (1) and (2) above, then you are in a position to use

dim(M+N) = dim(M) + dim(N) - dim(M∩N).

finding the dimensions isn't really the hard part. finding the basis elements is. what would an element of M∩N look like?

1. If I take the linear combinations of p1 p2 q1 q2 as I have written and I am not wrong I think the basis {t^2 t 1} is ok.

2. I found out that {p1,p2} and {q1,q2} are linearly independent, because a*p1+b*p2=0 s only solution is the trivial soulution, same for {q1,q2}. So dim(M)=2 and dim(N)=2.

3. An element in [itex]M \cap N[/itex] is something which is in the span({p1,p2}) and in the span({q1,q2}) at the same time. But how do I find a basis ?

for span({p1,p2,q1,q2}) to equal R2[t], every polynomial must be in the span.

if we have any abitrary polynomial At2 + Bt + C, in the span, this means that we have:

a+b+c+d = A
a+2c-d = B
a+b+3c+d = C

this is equivalent to:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1&1&1&1\\1&0&2&-1\\1&1&3&1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a\\b\\c\\d \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}A\\B\\C \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

now, it isn't obvious that the 4x3 matrix actually has rank 3. i think you might have made a lucky guess.

as for M∩N, suppose we have a(1+t+t2) + b(1-t2) = c(1-t+t2) + d(3+2t+t2). what can we say about a,b,c and d?

a(1+t+t2) + b(1-t2) = c(1-t+t2) + d(3+2t+t2) is true if

a-b=c+d
a=2d-c
a+b=c+3d

What do I do now?

Related to Polynomial Subspace Dimension & Basis Calculation

1. What is a polynomial subspace?

A polynomial subspace is a subset of the set of all polynomials, which includes only those polynomials that satisfy certain conditions, such as having a certain degree or containing only certain terms.

2. How is the dimension of a polynomial subspace calculated?

The dimension of a polynomial subspace is equal to the highest degree of the polynomials in the subspace plus one. For example, if all the polynomials in the subspace have a degree of 3, then the dimension of the subspace is 4.

3. What is the basis of a polynomial subspace?

The basis of a polynomial subspace is a set of polynomials that span the subspace, meaning that any polynomial in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis polynomials. The number of basis polynomials is equal to the dimension of the subspace.

4. How do you calculate the basis of a polynomial subspace?

The basis of a polynomial subspace can be calculated by first finding a set of linearly independent polynomials that span the subspace. This can be done using methods such as Gaussian elimination or the Gram-Schmidt process. Then, the basis is formed by taking the linearly independent polynomials and multiplying them by appropriate constants to make them monic (having a leading coefficient of 1).

5. What is the significance of polynomial subspace dimension and basis calculation?

Understanding the dimension and basis of a polynomial subspace is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows for the efficient representation and manipulation of polynomials. It is also useful in fields such as computer graphics, where polynomials are commonly used to represent curves and surfaces.