Polynomial Rings - Irreducibility

In summary, Rotman is discussing Theorem 3.97, which states that if $\phi: R \to S$ is a ring-homomorphism, then by definition there is a ring-homomorphism $\phi^* : \Bbb Z[x] \to S[x]$ which is the composition of the two original homomorphisms. He is mentioning that if we have a factorization in $\Bbb Z[x]$, reducing the coefficients of each factor mod $p$ yields a factorization in $\Bbb F_p[x]$. However, if we have a factorization in $\Bbb F_p[x]$, reducing the coefficients of each factor mod $p$ does not
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: A First Course in Abstract Algebra with Applications (Third Edition) ...

I am currently focused on Section 3.7 Irreducibility...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 3.97.

Theorem 3.97 and its proof read as follows:
View attachment 4685
Now, the first part of the proof of Theorem 3.97 relies on Theorem 3.3 ... so I am providing the statement of Theorem 3.3 as follows: ... ...https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4680
Now the first line of Theorem 3.97 reads as follows:

"By Theorem 3.33, the natural map \(\displaystyle \phi : \ \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{F}_p\) defines a homomorphism \(\displaystyle \phi^* : \ \mathbb{Z} [x] \rightarrow \mathbb{F}_p [x] \)... ... "

But, in Theorem 3.33 we have that

\(\displaystyle \phi : \ R \rightarrow S \)

and

\(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi }: R[x_1, x_2, \ ... \ x_n ] \rightarrow S \)

... so both codomains are \(\displaystyle S\) ...

BUT ... ... This does not match Theorem 3.97 which has the following functions ...

\(\displaystyle \phi : \ \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{F}_p\)

\(\displaystyle \phi^* : \ \mathbb{Z} [x] \rightarrow \mathbb{F}_p [x] \)

Now the codomains of \(\displaystyle \phi \) and \(\displaystyle \phi^* \) should be the same ( \(\displaystyle \equiv S\) ), but the codomain of \(\displaystyle \phi \) is \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_p\), and the codomain of \(\displaystyle \phi^* \) is \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_p [x]\) .

So, then, how exactly is Rotman applying Theorem 3.33 in this context.

Further ... ... it seems the codomain of \(\displaystyle \phi \) cannot be \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_p \)

because \(\displaystyle s \in S\) (notation of Theorem 3.33) must be \(\displaystyle x\), as far as I can see, because

\(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } (x_i) = s_i \)

becomes, in Theorem 3.97, \(\displaystyle \phi^*(x) = x\)

... but \(\displaystyle x \notin \mathbb{F}_p\)Can someone please clarify this for me ... and explain exactly how Theorem 3.33 applies to the prrof of Theorem 3.97

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're right-Rotman must be quoting the wrong theorem.

The theorem I'm familiar with goes like this:

If $\phi: R \to S$ is a ring-homomorphism (of commutative rings with unity), then we have a ring-homomorphism:

$\phi_{\ast}: R[x] \to S[x]$ given by:

$\phi_{\ast}(a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n) = \phi(a_0) + \phi(a_1)x + \cdots + \phi(a_n)x^n$.

That said, he may thinking of this:

We know we have a ring-homomorphism $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb F_p$, and we know we have a ring-homomorphism:

$\Bbb F_p \to \Bbb F_p[x]$ (this is just inclusion). The composition of those yields the desired ring-homomorphism.

In any case, the important thing is, if we have a factorization in $\Bbb Z[x]$, reducing the coefficients of each factor mod $p$ yields a factorization in $\Bbb F_p[x]$. This is because the coefficients of polynomial sums and products are algebraic expressions of ring sums and products, which are preserved by the underlying ring-homomorphism $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb F_p$.

Note that by "reducing the coefficients mod $p$" we project a polynomial over a ring (the integers) to a polynomial over a finite field, in which it may be far easier to prove irreducibility, due to there being a finite number of possible factors.

Deveno said:
I think you're right-Rotman must be quoting the wrong theorem.

The theorem I'm familiar with goes like this:

If $\phi: R \to S$ is a ring-homomorphism (of commutative rings with unity), then we have a ring-homomorphism:

$\phi_{\ast}: R[x] \to S[x]$ given by:

$\phi_{\ast}(a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n) = \phi(a_0) + \phi(a_1)x + \cdots + \phi(a_n)x^n$.

That said, he may thinking of this:

We know we have a ring-homomorphism $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb F_p$, and we know we have a ring-homomorphism:

$\Bbb F_p \to \Bbb F_p[x]$ (this is just inclusion). The composition of those yields the desired ring-homomorphism.

In any case, the important thing is, if we have a factorization in $\Bbb Z[x]$, reducing the coefficients of each factor mod $p$ yields a factorization in $\Bbb F_p[x]$. This is because the coefficients of polynomial sums and products are algebraic expressions of ring sums and products, which are preserved by the underlying ring-homomorphism $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb F_p$.

Note that by "reducing the coefficients mod $p$" we project a polynomial over a ring (the integers) to a polynomial over a finite field, in which it may be far easier to prove irreducibility, due to there being a finite number of possible factors.

Thanks Deveno ... that clarifies issues significantly ...

Still thinking over all aspects of what you have said ... get main idea, though ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Polynomial Rings - Irreducibility

1. What is a polynomial ring?

A polynomial ring is a mathematical structure that consists of polynomials with coefficients from a given field or ring. It is denoted as F[x], where F is the field or ring and x is the independent variable. The elements of a polynomial ring can be added, subtracted, and multiplied according to certain rules.

2. What does it mean for a polynomial to be irreducible?

A polynomial is considered irreducible if it cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degree with coefficients from the same field or ring. In other words, it cannot be expressed as a product of two or more non-constant polynomials.

3. How can I determine if a polynomial is irreducible?

There are several methods for determining if a polynomial is irreducible. One method is to use the rational roots theorem to check for any possible rational roots. If there are no rational roots, then the polynomial is irreducible. Another method is to use the Eisenstein criterion, which states that if a polynomial satisfies certain conditions, then it is irreducible.

4. Why is the concept of irreducibility important in polynomial rings?

The concept of irreducibility is important in polynomial rings because it helps us understand the structure of the ring and its elements. Irreducible polynomials are the building blocks of polynomial rings, and they have unique properties that make them useful in various mathematical applications, such as cryptography and coding theory.

5. Can a polynomial be irreducible in one ring but reducible in another?

Yes, a polynomial can be irreducible in one ring but reducible in another. This is because the irreducibility of a polynomial depends on the coefficients and the field or ring in which the polynomial is defined. A polynomial that is irreducible in one ring may have different factors in another ring with different coefficients.